chapter 19

Disclaimer: I own nothing and no one

Chapter 19: The Challenge

Harry couldn't believe he was in this situation. The situation of 'pleading' through a portrait to a sulking werewolf.

"For God's sake Malfoy! Get the hell out here!"

"Fuck off, Potter! Maybe I have better things to do!"

"You do not! You've done nothing but mope for weeks."

"So?! I've changed my mind. I don't want anything to do with your Fan Club."

About to let loose a string of insults, Harry forced himself to stop. This was useless and getting him nowhere. A far more effective solution would be to at least confront the blond face to face.

"Lilith, can you please let me in?" he asked the painting politely, smiling for good measure.

"Don't you dare –"

Too late, the portrait swung forwards, muttering giddily to herself. A pissed off Slytherin was left in her wake, hips slung to one side and hand resting there haughtily. Harry barely repressed a snort of laughter, trying to remember the last time he'd seen such a girly pose.

His amusement died as the blond jabbed him in the chest with a pointy finger. "Kindly cease exploiting your odd relationship with my portrait, Potter!"

Harry rolled his eyes. "Whatever. We had a deal."

Malfoy shrugged. "Like I said, I changed my mind."

Mimicking the obnoxious show of nonchalance, the Gryffindor replied easily, "So? You still have to show up, so you might as well do something useful for once."

The Slytherin sneered. "I don't see why."

Finally losing his patience, Harry reached out and grabbed the other's robes, yanking him forcefully into the hallway. Through gritted teeth, he muttered, "Close your eyes and think of England, for all I care, just come on!" before proceeding to drag the highly indignant blond in the right direction.

"Unhand me, Potter! I mean it, get the fuck away from me! I'm not doing it! I'm not! I –"

"– can't believe I'm doing this…"

Harry sighed and cast an exasperated glance at the Slytherin, who had yet to shut up. From the moment they'd arrived at the Room of Requirement, alone for now, he'd set eyes on a conveniently placed desk – but wasn't everything convenient in this place? – and perched himself upon it, crossing his legs beneath him and propping his elbow on his knee. Sulking.

His wand hung loosely in the hand not supporting his chin, forming lazy circles in the air that made smoke rings drift from the tip. A bored gaze followed their progress upwards.

Again, Harry turned away, resuming his pacing. They were awaiting the arrival of the rest of the DA, and Harry was nervous. He knew this wasn't going to go over well. Some of them might even quit, and those that stayed would be, at the very least, distrustful of the whole situation. After all, he was, in effect, allying himself with Malfoy. He was trusting the stupid prick, even relying on him. He couldn't exactly blame his friends for being sceptical, could he? The idea wasridiculous, when he thought about it–

But no, he stopped himself from once again going down that path, before he had second, third or even tenth thoughts…

"Can't you sit still?" the Slytherin suddenly drawled, startling him. "You're making me dizzy."

"They're all going to hate this idea," he shot back, totally irrelevant to what the blond had actually said.

Draco scowled. "Yes, well I can see how wearing a track into the carpet is going to make them love it…"