chapter 41

Disclaimer: I own nothing and no one

Chapter 41: Demonstrations Of Loyalty

xxx

Harry slipped and slid down the hill towards the high street of the small village, forcing himself not to glance back to where he knew Draco would be standing, staring after him with a look of betrayal. He was doing what he had to, he told himself. He couldn't let Draco come with him. He just couldn't. The werewolf would try and protect him, just as he had that time against Ron, and in a battle like this it would only get him hurt, or worse.

And, more than that, Draco was... He was...

No. He couldn't let himself think of that now.

His friends hurried to keep up on the slippery terrain, their wands out and eyes searching for any sign that they'd been noticed. From their higher vantage point, they could see Snape ducking behind any form of shelter he could reach in an attempt to avoid the attacks he was already attracting. Harry supposed he sometimes forgot how skilled a wizard the man was, but he was forcefully reminded of the fact now as he watched him fire off a spiel of various curses that made a larger dent in the number of Death Eaters present than many of the Hogsmeade inhabitants had managed in the last half an hour.

"Main priority is finding Remus," he instructed through panting breath. "Don't get involved in a dual if you can help it. Try not to be noticed at all, if you can help it."

As they finally reached flat ground, skidding to a halt behind one of the shop buildings, out of sight, Ron turned to him. The redhead reached out and grasped his arm, gesturing wildly back towards the Shack where they'd left the Slytherin. "Mate, what the hell...?"

"Not now," he muttered, trying to pull away. "You can yell at me for bad taste after we –"

"Not that," Ron interrupted, though he did wrinkle his nose and look slightly revolted. "No, I mean... Leaving him up there? What the hell did you do to the git, that he actually listened?"

Hermione bit her lip worriedly. "Ron –"

"And weren't you the one going on about what a bloody fantastic wizard Malfoy is? It didn't occur to you that he might be a bit useful, for once in his life...?"

Harry scowled. "Yes, Ron, it occurred to me. I just –" He cut himself off, realising there was no reasonable explanation he could give right now. "Never mind. Look, make sure the two of you stick together. Remember the dual back in the Room of Requirement? You're safer if you have a partner."

Hermione stared at him incredulously. "But – Wait! Harry! What about you?"

He started to back away from them. "I'll be faster on my own. Trust me, I'll be fine. Promise." And with that, he turned and darted into the battle, following Snape's footprints so he could use the same shelters. Belatedly, he realised they'd all forgotten to bring the Cloak down from the hilltop, where the enraged Potions Master had tossed it to the floor. He could have used it right now as he attempted to sneak unseen past a hoard of Death Eaters, his eyes wide and alert for any signs of Remus.

Harry was glad, now, that he had had Draco describe to him some of the Dark magic he knew and had heard of. Otherwise, he might have been shocked by the display of vicious curses and hexes that were being thrown every which way all around him. The Death Eaters were not limited to Unforgivables, the Slytherin had explained, and now Harry understood what he meant. They were much more creative.

Blinding curses. Flaying hexes. Fire. Pain. He closed his eyes and had to gather himself for a moment, taken aback. He'd been wrong. Practice with the DA, even with Draco present, had not prepared him.