chapter 33

Disclaimer: I own nothing and no one

Chapter 33: Questions Answered

xxx

At first, Harry had wondered what on Earth he could possibly have done wrong since Snape had last seen him that warranted the Potions Master hauling him up from an unusually tense breakfast table - since he and Ron were officially Not Talking - and marching him towards the door. On his way, the Professor paused and made a gesture at the Slytherin table. Draco, with a look of confusion, got up and followed.

The three exited into the hallway and Harry hurriedly twisted away, making a show of brushing off his clothing. "What did I do this time?" he demanded resentfully.

Snape glanced at him scathingly. "Aside from breathe?" he drawled sarcastically. "...Nothing. We're going to the Hospital Wing, since Lupin is requesting your presence."

The Gryffindor blinked, almost halting in his tracks until Draco gave him a shove. "Remus? Remus is back? He's okay?"

"He's back," was the short answer as the man swept ahead of them.

Harry grinned stupidly and turned to look at Draco, who smiled as if to say, See? I told you. But he frowned seconds later, puzzled. "As relieving as this is, I'm sure," he muttered, "why am I here?"

Snape didn't answer, merely guided them along another corridor.

Harry suddenly clicked, remembering the arrival last night. "Your Mum's here," he blurted out automatically.

It was the Slytherin's turn to stop dead, staring at him, frozen. "...What?" he spluttered, astonished.

"Yeah, she came to your room last night - which, by the way, was when he dragged me back to my dorm."

The Potions Master had walked back towards them when he realised they'd stopped following, and now glared impatiently at the pair. "If you're both quite finished -"

Draco turned on him. "Is that true? Is mother really here? Is she...?"

Snape sighed. "Dumbledore insisted on an interrogation during the night. Whatever he discovered, it would appear he has agreed to allow her to stay. You can ask her these questions yourself if you'd both just move."

She'd been allowed to stay? That could only mean that the Headmaster trusted her, at least to some extent. But what was she doing here? The last time he'd heard from her, she'd been trying to persuade him to return to his father and take the Mark. What had changed?

He was shaking his head, perplexed. And yet, at the same time, such a pathetic sense of relief was creeping into him, insisting that he see her, find out for sure that she was really... that she was really...

She was really here.

He blinked, to find the Gryffindor still grinning idiotically, green eyes dancing. Harry grabbed Draco's arm, tugging, and whispered, "Come on!"

And then he was running ahead, completely ignoring the Potion Master's annoyed reprimand, and what could Draco do, really, except follow? He too barely heard Severus's exasperated shout as he darted past the man, hot on the Gryffindor's heels, both of them racing through hallways, skidding around corners, laughing with pure relief. They terrified a group of Hufflepuffs who were walking down to the Hall, running too fast to stop or avoid them, instead scattering them as they hurtled past, Harry calling rushed apologies over his shoulder and Draco laughing even more - something that almost caused mass-panic amongst the startled Hufflepuffs.

Finally, they approached the medical ward, Harry bursting through the door first and managing to slide to a halt, Draco colliding with him seconds later and peering over his shoulder at their suddenly shocked audience.