chapter 29

Disclaimer: I own nothing and no one

Chapter 29: The Old Vs The New

xxx

Ron returned on the Saturday to a very changed Hogwarts.

Having spent the week in the familiar not-quite-comfort of the Burrow, with Ginny being the annoying little sister she was meant to be, Fred and George constantly tormenting him, his mother alternating between doting on him and yelling until she was blue in the face, and his father sat tinkering with some muggle contraption at the kitchen table, Ron was quite ready to get back to the relative relief of school. And, with the break, he'd even felt his annoyance with Harry trickle away. Yes, he could see now that his friend wasn't trying to cause trouble between them, he was just trying to accommodate the request Dumbledore had made of him – insensitive old coot that he was – as well as do the best he could for the DA. It probably wasn't an easy job, especially since Harry seemed to have been partnered with Malfoy through lack of option at the informal lessons. Ron supposed, reluctantly, that he hadn't exactly been making the situation any easier.

He'd also been reading the Prophet during the holiday, and he'd seen the article in which Malfoy's disownment was announced to the world. That little bit of malicious satisfaction had gone a long way to easing his resentment.

So it was with the full intent to be the bigger person that he returned to Hogwarts, dumped his bag back in the dormitory and went in search of his best friend. It was about lunch time, so he headed straight for the Great Hall, where he guessed both Harry and Hermione would probably be, since the common room was deserted.

It felt good to be back, and with a new outlook. Malfoy could try all he liked to drive a wedge between Harry and his friends; that didn't mean he'd succeed. Besides, it wasn't like the devious Slytherin had all that much leverage anymore. Ron felt incredibly able to face up to whatever low insults were hurled at him now that he and the blond were on even ground. No, strike that – Malfoy was probably even poorer than he was, since his ignoble disownment! In fact, he wouldn't have been surprised if the prat was hiding in shame, thereby removing Ron's problem altogether.

Grinning to himself and resisting the urge to whistle – which probably would have been excessive, as Hermione liked to say – the redhead happily made his way downstairs, already thinking up the taunts he'd finally get to use.

xxx

"Oy, Seamus, where's Harry?"

The dark haired boy glanced at him, mouth full of food which prevented him from answering immediately. He waved a hand to indicate he was trying to answer while Ron looked on, caught between amusement and impatience.

"Wondered when you were getting back," the Irish boy managed finally, swallowing. "Maybe you can talk some sense into him…"

Ron frowned. "What?"

Lavender, who had turned in her seat to glance at him, suddenly joined the conversation. "Ron! Oh my God, you have to do something!"

Mildly panicked now, the redhead looked between the pair with obvious concern. "Why? What's going on?"

"He's gone insane!" she said immediately, cutting across Seamus. "He called me a bitch! Me!"

"That," Seamus interrupted, rolling his eyes, "and the more serious symptom that he's willingly parading round with that snake."

"You mean Malfoy?" He had not shrieked, he told himself later. It was just the horror... "But I thought... I thought he was –"

"Poor as they come and twice as unpopular?" Seamus nodded. "Yeah, he is. Harry's rescuing him."