chapter 32

Disclaimer: I own nothing and no one

Chapter 32: Making Arrangements

xxx

"I would, of course, offer you some refreshments and a change of attire, but I believe we have more important things to discuss for the moment. Don't you agree?"

Narcissa stared at the old man before her and knew immediately that the whispers of his senility were even more outlandish than she'd imagined. Dumbledore might well be eccentric, and growing even more so with age, but this was definitely the same sharp mind – right down to the infuriatingly knowing eyes – that she'd known back in her own time as a student. He had intimidated her then, and now was no different. The only advantage she'd gained over the years was that, now, she could hide the small weakness.

"I'm here for my son."

Steepled fingers were immediately in place, usually a sign of a coming argument. "I'm afraid I have a prior agreement with Mr Malfoy that he would remain at this school –"

"You misunderstand me, Headmaster," she said, adopting the best diplomatic tone she could muster with her frayed nerves. "I'm here because I have chosen his side."

Dumbledore looked amused for a second. "His side? I don't believe you've had the chance to so much as hear his motives yet, my dear."

She lifted her chin stubbornly. "He is my son. Whatever his motives, they can be no worse than the madness that has overcome my husband in this last year. I've been criminally stupid in remaining with him this long, when instead I should have been with Draco. I was almost killed tonight, simply for voicing doubts, and I do believe Lucius has shown me his last act of loyalty in allowing me to escape with my life." She sat up straighter in her chair, refusing to fuss self-consciously with her hair and clothes, which would only draw attention to the mangled state she was in.

The Headmaster regarded her evenly from behind his desk, and she could practically feel his judgement. The jovial grandfather figure had disappeared in the blink of an eye, to be replaced by the shrewd and ancient wizard. "You come here expecting my protection to extend to you also, Narcissa Malfoy? You, who have committed crimes that your son is yet innocent of?"

"I have done nothing!" she hissed, leaning forward. "You condemn me for my husband's reputation! Look, see for yourself!" She dragged up her sleeves and bared pale, unmarked forearms for his inspection. "I've always refused to bow and scrape before that madman like some common House Elf, and tonight was my final defiance. The Dark Lord no longer wants to set eyes upon myself or Draco, and Lucius is hanging on to his favour by a thread."

"Forgive me if I find your sudden appearance here the slightest bit suspicious –"

"I can swear all this to you under Veritaserum, if needs be." Her desperation must have been greater than she herself anticipated, for her to make such a hasty offer, but still she would follow through, if he asked. "And I am perfectly capable of protecting myself. I merely ask that you allow me access to Draco."

Dumbledore was silent, watching the woman with interest. This was not the aristocratic, refined wife seen in public – this was her as a mother, and it was no act. "The situation is not that simple, Mrs Malfoy," he said slowly, picking words with care. He could feel the magic of his own spell suddenly tightening the air, ensuring that he didn't reveal a secret that wasn't his own. "There is much that has... changed since the school year began, and which I am not qualified to tell you. It concerns me that I find myself wondering whether your present affections can withstand the revelations to come."

"What are you talking about?"

She watched in puzzlement as the old man opened his mouth to reply, only to remain silent, as if the very words were snatched from him. He smiled wryly. "It seems I'm not at liberty to explain any further. I shall say only that Mr Malfoy has altered a great deal already this year, but I do believe it's for the good, despite first impressions."