chapter 40

Disclaimer: I own nothing and no one

Chapter 40: Into The Dark

xxx

Severus did not hold a high opinion of those who flaunted rules and instructions. Unfortunate, that he'd become such an individual himself.

The edges of the school wards were only a short distance away now. As soon as he passed them, he'd be able to Apparate, and hopefully arrive at Hogsmeade before the majority of the Order. Damned unlucky, that Dumbledore had closed off the Floo network a few seconds too soon, making it impossible for him to use a fireplace to get down there. As Minerva had said, only the Headmaster's fire would still be usable for Flooing, and that would mean joining up with the others.

He glanced up at the sky, noting how close it was to sunset. It wouldn't be long, now, before his efforts became in vain.

He hurried his pace.

This was insane, he told himself yet again. What in Salazar's name was he thinking of? Even as he acted, his movements almost automatic, he couldn't decide on a logical explanation. He had never been selfless, or noble, or reckless, or god damned suicidal – which was what this amounted to – so what was he playing at now? It was only Lupin, after all. Hadn't he always suspected something like this would happen...?

"Stupid, pathetic, worthless excuse for a man! I knew he'd get himself caught and –"

Behind him, someone scoffed incredulously.

He whirled around, wand out and pointed at – nothing. Blinking, he looked around in confusion.

For a second, the air before him rippled, before sweeping aside to reveal –

"Potter!" he snarled, indignation overcoming perplexity. "What are you doing out here, for Merlin's – Draco?"

The two boys materialised side by side, slipping out from beneath the folds of what was no doubt an Invisibility Cloak. His eyes narrowed, trying to figure out which of them it belonged to, before deciding on the Gryffindor. Draco, he knew, would have bragged about it before now if he owned such a thing.

"How did you get out here?" he couldn't help but snap, before realising what a stupid question it was, considering their disguise. "Both of you, get back inside at once! Do you have any idea –"

The Slytherin pushed past the other, stepping up in front of the Potions Master and staring him boldly in the face. "I know exactly where you're going, Severus. And why. We're going with you."

Severus bristled indignantly. Insolent little brat! He'd been spending entirely too much time around Potter. How dare he sound so presumptuous?

He narrowed his eyes in fury. "Remove yourselves from my sight this instant, and perhaps you will both avoid detention for the rest of your natural lives."

Draco's expression didn't so much as flicker. "Well, about that. Even if I wanted to take myself back to the school – which, I must admit, sounds tempting – I can't. My contract with Dumbledore won't let me."

The Potions Master blinked in surprise, as did Potter, both of them staring at the blonde.

Draco shrugged. "It didn't occur to me, either, until we got halfway down here and I realised that you're an Order member. I kind of have to help you."

The older man sneered. "Don't be ridiculous. The Headmaster certainly didn't mean anything so stupid as this. Return to the Slytherin common room right now –"

"I'm serious, I can't," the Slytherin protested. "If nothing else, I have to go with him." He indicated Potter, who stood defiant at his side. "And you might notice we're wasting time. If you intend to give that –" he pointed to the vial of potion Severus still held "– to Lupin before the moon rises, you want to hurry up."