Chapter 1

I was terrified of small spaces and he knew that.

I could feel the sweat pooling in the crease behind my knees. My arms were hugging my knees to my chest and my chin rested on my knee and I waited for Darren to unlock the closet. I couldn't reach my phone that was in my back pocket, as there wasn't enough room for me to slide my hand behind my back to reach it.

I don't know how long it had been since Darren has shoved me in here but I knew if I didn't get out soon I'd start panicking. I knew I needed to start singing to distract myself before I started to hyperventilate so I closed my eyes and hummed aloud while I sang in my head.

Somewhere over the rainbow, way up high

And the dreams that you dream of, once in a lullaby Somewhere over the rainbow, bluebirds fly And the dreams that you dream of, dreams really do come true

I  sang the whole song several times and it was getting harder and harder to breath so I stopped humming. Dammit. He's never left me in here this long.

I hear something and hold my breath. Please don't be him, please don't be him, please don't be him.

The distinct sound of boots on the wood floors grows louder and louder, my heart racing so fast I think it might explode out of my chest. That's weird, it sounds like there are more footsteps than just Darren's. Shit, who did he bring over?

I can't control the cries that escape my mouth as I start to imagine what might happen once the door is unlocked. I can hear a muffled voice speaking and I try harder to contain the guttural noises escaping my throat. Shit, shit, shit. No, God, if you can hear me, please, please just let this be a sick dream that I've never woken up from.

The footsteps stop right in front of the door and I can see the shadow underneath the crack in the door. There's a tap on the door and I jump. What the fuck? Darren never knocks on the door. I can hear each of the seven deadbolt and padlocks being removed slowly. The last chain heavily falls to the floor the doorknob turns. Light seeps in and I  squint to make out the dark figure squatting in front of me...

I squeeze my eyes open in shut, trying to adjust to the darkness surrounding me. Where the fuck am I? My eyes slowly adjust and I realize I'm in my bedroom and release the breath I didn't know I was holding.

Shit. I roll my neck and untangle myself from my comforter. I sit on the edge of the bed and reach for my phone. It's 2:27 a.m. Well, I guess 3 hours of sleep will have to do. I know there's no point in trying to go back to sleep after that nightmare. I slip off my baggy Script t-shirt and grab my towel, walking into the bathroom I share with my mom and step-sister. I lock the door and turn the shower tap on, leaving it on cold. I toss my underwear in the laundry basket in the corner and step into the cool water. I stand to face the faucet letting the water wash over my face and hair. I squeeze my eyes shut again trying to wipe the nightmare from my brain.

I quickly wash my hair and body and turn off the tap. Standing in my towel, I brush my teeth and brush my dirty blond hair. My ends are dead from straightening my natural waves. I notice a pair of scissors sticking out of a drawer to my right.

Fuck it.

I grab the scissors and a comb and part my hair. I grab a section and pause, the scissors poised to chop off about 10 inches. I exhale a deep breath and cut, the hair dropping in the sink. I laugh, thinking about how crazy this is, but don't stop. By the time I'm done I've got a choppy bob that just reaches my shoulders. I clean off the hair and run my hands through my newly cropped hair. I smile to myself in the mirror, happy with the change. I turn the light off and open the door to return to my room when my heart jumps out of my chest.

"Dammit, Avery, you scared the shit out of me."

My step-sister stands there with a scowl on her face.

"Are you sure it wasn't your reflection in the mirror that scared you?"

I stare blankly back, trying to come up with a comeback that isn't lame.

"Freak," she spits.

She pushes past me and slams the door behind me. Ugh, I can never come up with anything good to say in the moment. Watch, ten minutes from now you'll come up with something really snarky to say back. You're so lame, Lyssa.

************************************************

Author's Note

Stayed tuned for tomorrow's chapter. Lyssa meets Ryder!!