Chapter 16

Sitting on the floor of Becca's room, I'm trying hard to focus on completing my physics assignment but I can't help but gaze around her room. Her walls are painted pink, and her clothes are strewn pretty much everywhere. I had to push a pile to the side to make myself comfortable on the floor. She's got a giant bay window that faces the pine trees in her back yard and being on the second story of the house makes for an amazing view. On the wall next to her vanity is an old door which is what she's using to hang all her jewelry on. Honestly, if I didn't know Becca, I'd expect her to get along great with the cheer and dance barbies.

I'm yanked out of my gaze when she suddenly jumps up from her desk chair and starts squealing.

"Oh my god! There's a party tomorrow night! Finally! Something fun to do!"

As she jumps up and down with excitement, I wonder why she's so happy. Parties are boring and everyone's just trying to get laid anyways. Not that I've ever been to one, but I can only imagine. I've heard plenty of stories from Avery.

I roll my eyes as she starts going through her clothes around the room.

"What are we gonna wear?" She asks me, throwing clothes in every direction.

I narrowly dodge a pair of pants thrown in my direction.

"We?" I ask incredulously. "No, I'm not going to any party!"

"Ugh, come on party pooper. It'll be fun! We can dance and make fun of the barbies who get sloppy."

She turns her head and gives me a puppy dog pout.

"Pweasse. For me?"

"Fine," I huff. "But don't expect me to stay very long. And I'm not planning on holding your hair back while you puke, just so you know."

Her face lights up again and she resumes her search for the perfect outfit.

"Wait," I ask. "Where's the party at?"

"I dunno. Some girl named Avery's house."

I could feel the color draining from my body. Oh my god. No way. No. Way. It can't be Avery. It can't be at my house. There must be another Avery at school or something. There's no way this is happening at my house, not with Darren and my mom around. It's not possible. I sink into a pile of clothes groaning.

"Oh, come on," Becca coos. "Stop being so dramatic."

"Says the person who was just screaming like a two year old," I say into the clothes.

"I dunno what you said, but I'm gonna pretend you said thanks Becca you're the best friend I've ever had and I can't wait for you to do my makeup and hair tomorrow for the party so I look hot and ready to mingle."

I sit up quickly, staring at her blankly.

"Um, what? No one said anything about me getting all girly."

"I just did. Trust me you'll look amazing. Seriously. You're gorgeous and you've got this edgy vibe with your haircut. You're gonna look hot."

I groan again and fling myself into the pile of clothes.

Ugh, this is going to be a nightmare.

———

Of course when I got home last night, my mother and Darren announce that they'll be gone tomorrow night something about a job opportunity in the next city over and staying in a hotel. Great, just great. I cornered Avery in the hall last night about the party and she just gave me a bitchy look and shoved past me.