Chapter 48

I'm wheeled into the ER where the paramedic starts talking to a nurse and reporting my body's stats.

Ash is told to go to the waiting area as a curtain shuts around me. A nurse starts asking me if anything hurts and I reply no.

She helps me sit up so that I can put on a gown. And places the clothing I was wearing into a bag. She says that a psychiatrist will be coming by to speak with me soon and that if I need anything to press the red call button by the bed.

My body feels like it's been hit by a train. I'm drained physically and mentally, but I force my eyes to stay open. I don't want to fall asleep and wake up back in that house. I don't want this all to be a dream.

After a while of looking around the curtained off area and listening to the buzz of the busy hospital ER, my eyes start to get heavy. I try so hard to keep them open, but I can't hold off sleep any longer.

I feel something heavy pressing down on my body and I spring up from the bed screaming.

"Don't touch me! Don't touch me!" I sob standing in the corner of the room. I've ripped the IV from my hand and I can feel it dripping blood. I fall to the floor bringing my knees to my chest and shudder as arms wrap around me.

"Lyssa," I hear Ryder soothe, "you're okay, baby. You're okay."

My crying secedes to subtle hiccups as he hushes me with calming words and I look up into Ryder's eyes.

"I think we need to fix your hand," he says softly making me look down at the blood that was still dripping down it and onto the floor.

I nod and he helps me stand up. Ash, a nurse and a woman in a white lab coat watch me from the corner.

"Sorry," I say embarrassed as I climb back onto the bed.

The nurse shakes her head in dismissal and starts to bandage my hand.

"Lyssa, I'm Doctor Perris and I'm here to have a chat to make sure that you're okay."

She sweeps her long hair away from her tired face and pulls up a chair next to the bed.

"Would it be alright if we talked alone?" She asks calmly, looking at Ash and Ryder.

I slowly nod my head as Ash and Ryder exit.

"I'll be right out here if you need me okay?" Ash says before closing the curtain behind him.

Once the nurse is done reinserting my IV into my arm, she leaves and I sit staring at the floor.

"So, Lyssa, I'm not sure what the police have told you, but you're safe now. This is a safe space. And anything you tell me right here is between you and I unless it involves harming yourself or others. Okay?"

I nod in approval and she begins to ask me question after question.