Chapter 44

I try hard not to cry as we continue to drive. I recognize the road that we turn on. This is the road to the warehouse where Ryder fights. 

I watch as we pass the building and continue down the road. We finally pull into an empty lot and I look around to see where we are. It's dark, but I can make out a small building in front of us. It looks like an old auto garage.

My door opens and Darren yanks me out causing me to trip. He pulls me up and leads me towards a door in the building. He pulls a set of keys from his pocket and unlocks a padlock. He pulls the chain away from the door handle and opens it throwing me inside. He fumbles for something on the wall and I hear something clicking.

The room illuminates to reveal a small garage space with a car parked inside. The light timer on the wall counts the passing seconds as he orders me to stay put.

He removes a tarp from over the parked car and I recognize it as the car that hit me in the accident. I feel for my phone in my sweatpants pocket. I wait for him to be turned away before pulling it out. I swipe to unlock it and stick it back in my pocket as his body faces me again.

He starts to pull a chain on the wall which pulls up a metal door. Once it's open, he climbs into the car and turns it on. While his busy reversing out of the garage, I pull my phone out and open the phone app. I click on the dial pad but my thumb accidentally presses missed calls. Sh*t.
I slip it back into my pocket as I hear the car turn off. He pokes his head in to look at me before heading back outside.

I pull the phone back out and my heart skips a beat. Sh*t, I accidentally pressed Samantha. The call has already connected and I raise it to my ear. There are loud sounds on the other end and I whisper as loud as I dare to whoever is on the line.

"911. The garage next to fights..." I pause as I hear a car start and he pulls his car into the garage.

I force the phone back into my pocket as he turns the car off and steps out. I grip the phone tightly as my heartbeat thuds in my ears. Sh*t.

My phone starts to buzz and I fumble with it to make it stop. Sh*t! F*ck! Stop! It finally stops, but not before Darren takes notice. He stares at my hand in my pocket quizzically and strides over to me.

"What's in your pocket," he shouts. "Show me!"

I remove my hand and he glares at me. He shoves his hand in my pocket and pulls out my phone.

"F*ck!" He yells throwing my phone across the room.

It clatters to the floor in pieces and he balls his hands into fists.

"Who did you call?"

"No one!" I shout. "I swear, someone called me. I didn't touch it!"

He slaps my face biting his lip with anger.

"You f*cking bitch. You better not be lying."

I reach for my stinging face and let hot tears stream down it.

"Let's go," he growls grabbing my arm again forcefully. I'm sure they'll be bruises there.

In the passenger seat of the car, I buckle my seatbelt as he races out of the lot and back onto the road. He's driving fast and I scream as a car pulls out onto the road. He slams his breaks and my seatbelt almost chokes me when it locks.

The driver flips the bird and I recognize the face.

Ryder. His face widens with recognition and Darren swears as he drives around Ryder's Jeep. I give Ryder a pleading look as we drive past the front of his car and he nods his head.

Darren doesn't seem to notice as he keeps speeding down the road. Oh god, what is happening? Will Ryder call the police? Maybe he already has? Sh*t. This is bad. This is really bad. Wherever we're going, Darren doesn't want to be found, because he's driving the car from the accident.