Chapter 39

I busy myself with wiping my eyes and my running nose.

"Lyssa, look at me," he says softly.

"No," I say my voice shaking. Tears are forming in my eyes again and I shake my head at him.

Please don't ask me. Please just drop it.

"Lyssa," he says scooting closer to me. He gently grabs my chin to lift it to his.

"Lys, tell me who did this."

I shake my head as tears stream down my face again.

"I won't tell anyone, I just need to know. I want to help."

He sighs and grabs my hands in his.

"Please. Is it your brother?"

"No!" I say forcefully.

"Okay, okay. Your stepdad?"

I don't move, keeping my eyes from meeting his. My heart is pounding with anxiety. F*ck this can't be happening. I wish I had never woken up today.

"Okay," he says softly.

I flinch as his thumb wipes away the tears on my face. My mind is racing with what-ifs and all the ways in which Darren could hurt Ash if he finds out someone else knows.

"Lyssa, it's going to be okay."

He doesn't know that! It's not! F*ck! I can't do anything right!

"Lys, look at me," he says patiently.

I finally meet his gaze feeling ashamed of him witnessing all that just happened.

"We can figure this out, I swear."

"No," I say nasally, "it's not that simple. You don't understand."

"Then help me to," he says squeezing my hands.

I sniffle a few times before finally responding.

"I can't, I really can't."

"Why not?"

I shake my head with frustration.

"Because—because he's going to kill my brother and then me."

I feel awkward and ashamed after saying that out loud. I wish I could take it back. I've shared too much. And now I'm burdening him with this information. I've put him in danger.

He sits in silence for a few moments before speaking again.

"We can get you out of this," he says confidently.

"How?"

"I know someone, he can help," he says.

"I can't. I can't go anywhere without them knowing. It's school, work and home. That's it."

"Who says they're going to find out?"

"They will," I say firmly, "Avery's got eyes on the back of her head, and she'll tell."

"Please, I can't get in any more trouble. I really can't."

"Okay, well I'll make sure that she doesn't find out okay? I can change your attendance records so your parents won't get a call."

I shake my head.

"I don't want you to get involved. This is my fault. I can deal with it."

"It's not your fault. You hear me?"

He stares at me, searching for any signs that I believe him.

"It is," I say making him shake his head.

"Let me make a call okay?"

"No. Don't call the cops, please!" I say grabbing his hand that moved to his pocket to fish out his phone.

"I'm not, I promise."

I release his hand and he pulls out his phone. I watch as he scrolls through his contacts and taps on a name.

He holds my hand as I nervously listen to his phone conversation.

"Hey Craig," he says.

"Are you busy?

"No, not about me, but I need your help.

"Okay, thanks, your place?

"See you in 15."

He locks his phone and stands up, pulling me with him. He doesn't release me hand as he picks up both of our bags and slings them onto his shoulder.

He intertwines are fingers and we descend back into the school. We step into the empty hallway and I cautiously look around for anyone who may be walking in the halls. We make it downstairs and into the office without running into anyone.

He lets go of my hand as he slips behind the desk. The absence of his hand feels cold.

He types in the computer quickly before walking back to me and holding my hand once again. We quickly walk through the hall and out the front doors. We make it to the parking lot and he unlocks his car. He opens the passenger door for me and closes it once I'm inside. He chucks our bags into the backseat before climbing into the driver side of the car.

He starts his engine and lowers the music that fills the car to a soft background hum.

I anxiously tap my foot as we drive out to the parking lot and make our way through town. We finally slow to a stop as we pull into a church parking lot.

I'm so confused. What are we doing at a church?

I look at Ryder, but he's focused on the road. He parks in the back and turns of the engine. He hops out of the car and comes around to my side, opening the door.

I stare at him skeptically as I unfasten my seatbelt.

"You can trust him. I swear."

I nod and hop down to the ground. He holds my hand in his and leads me to a door that he swiftly opens.

The building is warm and smells like old books. He walks us over to an office and knocks onto the door.

The door promptly swings open and a man that looks to be in his 30s greets us with a smile.

"Hey Ryder! Come in, come in," he says warmly moving aside so we can file into his office.