Chapter 31

A/N IM SO SORRY FOR THE LONG DELAY IN THIS CHAPTER! I'm working on my master's and I was also out of town last weekend so I just got sooo busy. But here you go. Three long chapters to make it up to you lovies.
Xoxoxo

I turned to find the source of the voice calling my name and saw Ryder walking through the crowd towards. He was wearing a pair of gym shorts and a hoodie, making him stand out among the much more clothed men around us who wore jeans and coats.

His smile grew bigger as he approached and I could sense his excitement. I'm not really sure why he was excited, it's not like I'm agreeing to anything here. I'm simply going to listen. But sh*t, this is a bizarre place to spill your secrets.

"Hey," he says above the noise, "You made it!"

I nod my head and watch as people move around us. He notices my gaze and motions for me to follow him. I stay close as we walk through a crowd of people and up the first level of the bleachers. He stops in what appears to be the middle of the aisle we are in and takes a seat. I follow suit and wait for him to say something.

His shaking leg is rattling the bench and starting to annoy me.

"So," I pause to clear my throat, "what's the big secret?"

"Um," he looks past me and then flutters his green eyes back to mine.

"Look, I don't want you to freak out, but I actually have to leave for a bit, but I promise I will be back. Okay?"

"Wait, what?" I'm seriously annoyed now as he stands up to walk back down the bleachers.

"Please stay here. Don't move! I'll meet you right here when I'm done okay?"

"Are you serious? You make me drive out to the middle of nowhere to have you just leave me here and wait for you?"

I stand up to leave and he begs me to stay.

"Please, Lys, just stay. It's only going to be about 15 minutes. I promise it'll be worth the wait..." his eyes dart back in forth between my own as he waits for a response.

I don't say anything, just sit down and pull out my phone.

"You won't regret it," he says before bouncing away down the bleachers.

I tried to follow where he went but I lost him in the crowd of people. I sigh and unlock my phone to scroll through Pinterest. After a few minutes, I get bored and decide to people watch. I still don't know what exactly is going to happen here in the middle of this ring, I just know it's going to be some sort of fighting.

I focus in on a group of guys that look to be about Ash's age and try to hear what they're talking about. One of them is arguing with the other two and he's got a hoody covering his face. I can only catch clips of what they're saying but it sounds intense.

"That little sh*t owes me..." hoody guy says.

"...gonna win..." said the guy to the right with a tattoo on his neck.

"...better be right..." hoody says.

"Shut your...Gino finds out," says third guy.

"F*ck Gino...money by Friday or..." says the hoody guy before turning and leaving.

I avert my gaze as he clambers down the bleachers. The sound of an air horn blaring makes me jump in my seat.

I look around for Ryder as a few guys step into the ring with microphones. One of them taps the mic and a booming sound fills the room. People start to climb the bleachers as he begins to speak.

"Alright everyone, we all know why we're here so let's get this sh*t started, yeah?"

The crowd erupts around me and I strain to hear what the guy is saying.

"...rounds and the winner will be announced. First up, Three Second versus First Blood."

The two guys enter the ring in just a pair of gym shorts. One of them is dark skinned with hair tied back into a ponytail and the other...

Holy f*ucking sh*t. The other guy is Ryder.

The announcer has them touch gloves and then steps out of the ring. A bell goes off and they start to bounce on the balls of their feet. I focus on Ryder as he takes steps around the ring and his opponent.

I yelp as his opponent throws a fist to his face, but Ryder swiftly avoids it, sending his opponent a punch up into his chin. Ryder watches as the guy shakes off the hit and readies himself for another go.

I wipe my sweaty palms on my jeans as I watch the events unfold. Just moments later, Ryder dodges another hit to his side and bounces back just in time to punch the guy in the ribs. He falls to the floor and a man jumps into the ring as stands in the corner waiting.

The guy on the floor rolls over and is back on his feet in no time. He looks angry as he stares at Ryder. I think I see Ryder smiling as he waits for another attack. Ryder steps to the right making his opponent lunge forward to swing. Instead of getting hit, Ryder side steps and sends a crushing blow straight to his face.

The audience screams as he falls to the floor holding a gushing nose. He tries to get up but can't seem to recover in time as the announcer walks over and raises Ryder's arm.

"And the winner is First Blood!"

Ryder seems stoic as the crowd cheers and I release a tense and shaky breath. Before exiting the ring he pauses in front of his bleeding opponent.

I sit in shock vaguely aware of the announcer talking and other people joining the ring to fight. I don't know how long I sit and blankly stare ahead, but I keep replaying the fight in my mind.

Why on earth would Ryder be doing this? Isn't this illegal? How did he get so good? Why is his name First Blood? Is he insane? Why is he showing me this secret?

I stand up abruptly as someone taps my shoulder. It's Ryder. Only now he's dressed in some jeans and a sweatshirt and he's holding a gym bag.

"Come on," he says walking down the bleachers.

I ignore the roars from the people who fill the stands and stay close behind Ryder as we make our way towards what I'm hoping is the exit. Oh thank god, I see a door.

Ryder pushes the door open allowing a gust of cold air to rush inside. The door slams shut behind us as I continue to follow him through the now packed parking area. It's dark but I can make out his familiar Jeep ahead and slow down as we approach it.

The lights flash as he unlocks it and swings his bag into the trunk. Standing underneath the yellow interior light of his trunk, I can see water droplets in his hair. He must have showered somewhere in the warehouse, I would have never guessed it was like a proper establishment inside.

He sighs and leans against the bumper of his car.

"So, now you know," he says biting his lip as his eyes sweep across my face.

I nod still somewhat in shock about the whole thing. I have so many questions, but I'm afraid to ask him. I don't want him to get angry. I've seen what he can do with his fists.

I don't know if this knowledge of his violent ways makes me feel any more willing to be around him. I feel like this is only screaming another red flag at me to stay away from him.

"Please say something," he says shoving his hands into his pockets.

*********************************************