Chapter 13

I strummed the guitar and rested my fingers in a familiar position on the neck of guitar. I started to play Grace Vanderwaal's song and sang along to the beat of the music.

"Opening my eyes
Seems like it gets harder sometimes
Look at the skylight
Would you mad at me if I tried running away to it in the night?
I tried to fight
But I'm not strong enough
I just want you here but I also wanna be alone
I don't know what I want anymore
Every now and then
The darkness tries to chase me
And my legs are getting tired of running
Oh, please don't
Please don't let it get to me
Oh, I don't wanna give up that easily
But the darkness keeps chasing me
Hiding places remind me of you and I
I wanna call you
But if I hear your voice
I just might cry
And I don't even know what the song's about, anymore
And I don't know what I want, anymore
Every now and then
The darkness tries to chase me
And my legs are getting tired of running..."

I abruptly stopped singing when I heard something in the corner of the room.

"Wow."

Shocked, I stared back at Ryder. Really? Why is he always sneaking up on me.

"Has anyone ever told you how beautifully you sing?"

His voice was smooth and low, nothing at all like his usual cocky self.

Realizing I hadn't responded I shook my head.

"You like it?"

I gave him a puzzled look and he nodded towards the guitar.

"You like it? The guitar."

"Um, yeah."

I rested it against the chair next to me and bent down to collect my bag. I can't believe Ryder just called my singing beautiful! What is happening? I swear I've been dropped into an alternate reality.

"Mind if I join you?" He asks walking towards me from the corner of the room.

I shrugged, not knowing how to respond. This has to be a joke. Why would he want to hang out with me? To my surprise he picked up the guitar and slipped the strap over his head. Sitting next to me he begins to repeat the chords I was just playing.

"Keep going," he says, smiling at me.

My stomach exploded into butterflies and I shook my head.

"I-I don't really sing in front of other people."

I broke his intense gaze and instead focused on a stain on the floor in front of us.

"You were just doing it..."

He huffs and I look back up at him to find him giving me a sad, begging look.

"Please, for me."

I groan and agree.

"Fine, only if you promise that you're not recording me. Promise?" I asked squinting my eyes seriously at him.

"Okay, okay, now start singing."

He begins to strum the guitar again and I quietly pick up where I had left off. After a verse or two my voice gains it's strength and I finish off strong.

I look up to Ryder who is staring intently at me.

"What?" I ask feeling uncomfortable under his gaze.

I fidget with my hands waiting for him to say something.

"Nothing," he finally says standing up and setting the guitar into a case behind his chair. He zips it just and places it in a cubby against the far wall.

"Is that yours?" I ask, regretting opening my mouth. Of course it's his, he just put it away.

"Yeah," he said running a hand through his hair.

"See you around, Lys."

I watch stunned as he exits the room. I'm snapped back to reality by the sound of other voices in the hallway and sling my backpack over my shoulder exiting the classroom.

I settle into my usual seat of English class and pull out my binder and a pen. I'm startled by someone touching my shoulder and I almost jump out of my seat. I turn around to find a pair of bright blue eyes and sparkling pink lips staring back at me.

"Oh, sorry," she squeals, extending her hand out to me.

"I'm Becca."

I slowly put my hand into hers and shake it.

"Lyssa."

She releases my hand and smiles brightly at me, tucking a piece of her thick curly hair behind her ear.

"Hi! I just moved here, and this is my first day. So, give me the low down." She stared at me eagerly awaiting my reply.

"Um, cool. Yeah, I mean Greenlake is cool. Um, yeah." I looked away awkwardly.

A bubbly laugh erupted from her body and she patted my shoulder.

"I like you," she said.

"So, give me the 411 on like the people, the teachers. Who should I avoid? Who throws the best parties?"

"Oh," I said laughing nervously. "Well, if you're looking to hang with the barbies, I'd sit with the cheer or dance team. And the jocks are the lacrosse team. No one really cares about any other sports. As for teachers, Mr. Price is cool, I guess, boring but pretty cool. And, yeah. Oh, and as for parties, Kelsey and Ryder usually throw the most popular ones..."

I trailed off and she nodded in appreciation.

"Well, I'm not really into the fake girls, but thanks for the update. Do you think you could take a look at my schedule and tell me who sucks and who doesn't?"

"Um, sure," I say, visibly relaxing knowing she isn't into joining the annoying populars.

"Great! You're a life saver."

I scan her schedule and smile.

"We actually have like almost every class together. Except for calculus, we've got all the same classes."

I hand her back her schedule and she lights up.

"No way! Yes! I'm beginning to like this place already." She squeezes my arm again and turns her attention to Mr. Price who just entered the classroom.

"Ugh, you didn't tell me he was old." She rolls her eyes and giggles again at my blank expression.

The classroom is filled now, and everyone is looking our way. I slump in my chair and shield my face with my hand. She looks around and stands up, fixing her pink dress before clearing her throat.

"Hey guys, I'll spare you the trouble of creating any false rumors now. My name is Becca and I'm new. And I'm not into joining your jock fan club," she says looking pointedly at a group of populars in the corner. Their jaws drop and she happily returns to her seat flashing me a devious smile.

"Alright, alright. Thank you Becca. Now please turn your attention to the board," Mr. Price announced, the barbies recovering from her insult and giving me a death glare.

************************************

How cute are Lyssa and Ryder?

And who likes Becca?

Don't forget to vote!

Xxx