Chapter 41

Work is the same as usual and Ash avoided me the entire evening. Ryder didn't call or text me anymore and I was grateful. The only person that I did talk to was Becca. We talked about the kiss and we both agreed that we're not looking to take it further. It was in the moment.

I can't believe I had my first kiss. It was good, but I always imagined it being so romantic and perfect. Not when I was sweating and nervous in the passenger seat of a car.

I took my time driving home, dreading what was waiting for me inside. When I pulled up the street every car was home meaning I'd have to deal with everyone.

I opened the door to find my mom sitting on the sofa with Darren. They were focused on the TV so I made my way to my room.

"Uh uh, phone," she said holding out her hand.

I placed it in her hand and quickly walked to my room. I grabbed a change of clothes and my towel that was hanging on the corner of my mirror and headed for the bathroom.

"Stay away from Ryder," Avery's voice said behind me.

I turned around to object to us ever hanging out but was met with more threats.

"He's mine. If you ruin things for us you're going to pay."

She bounced back to her room, slamming the door and leaving me stunned. Since when did she like Ryder? Whatever, we're done, and we weren't even friends really. I run the shower and enjoy the hot water running across my body. I reluctantly get out some time later and wrap my hair in my towel.

The red welts on my back don't look as bad as they did, and I apply some antibiotic cream on them from the medicine cabinet. While it dries I brush through my hair and apply some lotion.

Once I'm dressed I head to my room. I curl up onto my bed the blankets swallowing me up. I eventually fall asleep after going over today's events in my head over and over again.

Without a phone for an alarm, my new wake up call is Avery throwing ice water onto my bed. Or at least that's what I found out when I sit up in shock, the icy feeling stopping my lungs from breathing. After gasping for air and yelling at her to get out, she laughs and throws my phone in my lap. She leaves the empty pot on the floor next to my bed and skips out still chuckling.

I need an alarm clock.

I remove my sopping pajamas and slide into a pair of leggings and a long shirt. I throw on a jacket and a scarf and head out to the kitchen to get something to eat. I settle on toast and yogurt and sit at the table waiting for my phone to turn on. The toaster dings, and I get up to spread some butter and jam on it.

Taking a bite of the toasty bread, my screen flashes with notifications. None from Ryder though. Lyssa, stop, why do you even care? I open the long list of notifications from Becca and read them.

Did you get that email about the school talent show?

We're auditioning

Well I mean you are

After you show me your skills

You still haven't sang for me

Just because you're ignoring me doesn't mean you're getting out of it

Come on it'll be fun

I'm auditioning to be the announcer

So we will be doing it together

Also what did you get for problem 3 on the history hand out?

Never mind I found the answer

Okay moody much. I'll see you tomorrow xx

I roll my eyes and send her a text that my phone died to explain why I didn't respond. After eating I clear my dishes and head back to my room for my bag and to put on shoes.

In the hallway I'm stopped by Darren. I freeze and stare at my bare feet waiting for him to say or do something.

"I need you to come home early after school. So no work."

I look at him with wide eyes, but I don't object. He moves to the side so that I can pass him and I do so quickly.

I make it to my car without any interruptions and throw my backpack to the passenger seat. Great I'm going to have to text Ash that I can't make it to work. And it's Friday. One of our busiest days. Ugh.

I put off texting him and instead just drive to school. I get my usual spot and head inside. It's still pretty early so I wait in class alone. I'm afraid of what Darren's going to do after school. Why do I have to be there early? And I thought he needed money, which I would need to go to work to make. What's more important?

Before I know it, Becca is sitting next to me chatting excitedly about the talent show.

"So the talent show isn't until December, but auditions are next week. Can you come over this weekend? We can practice? Well you can practice."

"Bec, I told you, I'm not doing the talent show. I'll be the laughing stock of the whole school. I'm not that great of a singer—"

"Not true," she says cutting me off, "somebody thinks you're amazing."

"Shut up," I say rolling my eyes, "he never said that, besides, I don't want to do it."

She grumbles in her seat saying something about how this isn't the end of our discussion as the door shuts and class begins.