Chapter 55

I got accepted everywhere I applied but decided that I'm actually going to go to community college a couple of towns away for the first two years. Becca was going to the state school in the capital and Ryder landed a scholarship for lacrosse in two states. He's been pretty quiet about it and I haven't pushed him to talk.

Ryder drove us back from pizza and dropped Becca off at home on the way back to mine. We sat on the sofa eating popcorn and watching reruns of the Office.

"Ryder," I speak up, making him pause the TV, "have you made a decision?"

"About what?" He asks curiously.

"College."

"Oh," he says setting the bowl of popcorn down on the coffee table.

"Don't freak out, but I don't think I'm going to go."

He flashes an innocent smile, and I almost choke on my popcorn.

"What?" I say surprised. "You're not going to college?"

"No, I'm going to college, just not for lacrosse."

"Oh, okay. So where are you going to go?"

"I was thinking of going to community college," he says judging my reaction, "I talked to Ash, and he's offered for me to stay on at the shop, and he would take me under his wing and show me the ropes of running a business. I..." he pauses to shift his position, "I really want to open my own gym. You know I still box. Well, I want to open my own place for kids that need a somewhere safe to go. Craig said he'd help me promote it through the church, and yeah...what do you think?"

I process what he says and bite back a smile.

"I think it's amazing," I say dying of excitement and happiness inside.

"Really?"

"Yes, really."

I'm so happy to have Ryder going to school with me. And Becca isn't that far away. I'm just happy that we're not going to be far away. They're my family just as much as Ash is.

Ryder presses play and I lay my head on his shoulder smiling with happiness. Ryder suddenly sat up front the couch leaving me to fall over.

"Hey! I almost forgot I got you something. Hang tight," he said grabbing his keys from the coffee table and heading out the front door.