Chapter 3

4 years later...

Natalie ran through the streets until she reached her destination - the tallest building in the city, standing high above everything else. The Renegades Headquarters. It'd become her new job and partially her home since two years previously. When she was fourteen and a girl had run into her in the street.

*Flashback*

She was late. Natalie flew around the corner, trying to get to the grocery store before the start of her shift. A figure blocked her way and they collided, them both falling to the floor. Natalie jumped up, brushing her long hair out of her face, the girl in front of her doing the same a moment after.

"I'm so sorry!" Natalie said, holding her grazed elbow. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah, I'm fine." The other girl replied, tilting her head to the side as she analysed Natalie. It seemed like she knew her.

"Well, I'm so sorry for crashing into you, but I have to go! I'm already late!" As Natalie started to leave again, the girl grabbed her arm and stopped her.

"Wait! Would you happen to be Natalie Walter?" She asked, catching Natalie's attention. She was instantly wary.

"Why?" She eyed the other girl with suspicion, but she was unfazed.

"Someone said that they thought you would be a good addition to the Renegades. I recognized you from your description. They have been looking for you for a few weeks." She informed Natalie, who was still suspicious.

"Who's looking for me?"

"The Renegade Council. You know, Captain Chromium, the Dread Warden, Blacklight, Tsunami, Thunderbird..."

"Yeah, I know who the Council is. I would have to be either an idiot or completely oblivious to the world to not know them!" Natalie replied, rolling her eyes.

"I'll take you to see them." The girl said, smiling as she grabbed Natalie's arm and tried to take her to the Renegade tower.

"Uh, sorry, but I have to go. I'm already late for my shift at the grocery store." She replied, an apologetic smile on her face as she turned away.

"Oh, I'll just bring them here when your shift finishes! When will it end?" She asked cheerfully.

"Oh, that's not necessary." Natalie started backing away. This was just too weird.

"No, I insist." The girls voice took a more aggressive and determined tone as did her body. Her fingers were clenched into fists and her eyes were close to glaring, despite her smile.

Natalie wilted. "4 hours." The girls negative body language disappeared as if it hadn't been there to start with and she grinned.

"I'll see you then!" She skipped away, leaving a bewildered Natalie behind. She glanced at the large clock in the town center to see she was 10 minutes late. She cursed and took off running again.

*4 hours later*

Natalie left the store exhausted, having completely forgotten about the Renegade girl from before. She had had to do the worst jobs in punishment for being late. She pulled her long black hair with it's irregular stripe of red into a low ponytail on the nape of her neck and sighed, closing her eyes as she leaned against the brick wall of the side of the building in the shade.

"Natalie?" Natalie's eyes snapped open to see the girl from before standing in front of her with two people standing behind her. A man and a woman. But not just any man and woman. Captain Chromium and Thunderbird. Two of the cities best known heroes. Natalie slowly raised her head, watching as her main escape was blocked by the Renegades. She said nothing just stared at them from her place on the wall.