Chapter 21

Natalie slipped through the near empty HQ and made her way to the cells.

"I'm here to see Impaler." She told one of the guards who opened the door to a cell and locked it behind her.

"This is a change of scenery." She announced, sitting on the floor across from her friend. It was a slightly smaller room with a little window and her friend was sitting in the corner beneath the window, picking at her chains.

"So's that." Alannah replied, nodding at Natalie, who in return reached her fingers up to her hair. She'd chopped it all off so that it was now around 10 inches shorter, reaching just below her shoulders.

"I needed a change - and stress relief." Natalie replied, wrapping her arms around her knees as she pulled them to her chest.

"You'll need more soon enough." Alannah warned, looking serious for once.

"That is literally the most sane I've seen you for ages." Natalie laughed, and then took in the expression on her friend's face. "Wait, what did you say?"

"You heard me." She replied. "I think it's best that you hear this from me rather than them." Natalie froze and her breath caught in her throat.

"They've found Sam, haven't they." She whispered, looking at her boots. The Renegade issued boots. The same people to weren't there to save her sister.

"Yeah, they found her. I just thought it would be better for you to go in prepared when they contact you. I'm surprised they haven't already." Alannah's brow creased.

"They've been trying to contact me for hours." Natalie breathed. "The only one I read was the one that you wanted to see me." She looked up at her friend and whispered so no one else nearby would hear, "Unless I contact you otherwise, meet me on our rooftop at midnight tonight. Please." Alannah nodded and Natalie stood up, shaking and left the cell.

By the time Natalie had reached the Council "throne room", they were about to leave.

"You're here late." She observed as she walked through the door. They all looked up at her, as if they were surprised to see her. "Oh don't act so surprised. I was going to come here sooner or later. I can't hide forever."

The Council all watched her, glancing at each other, waiting for someone else to talk first.

"Oh, just say it. I know why you called me here." Natalie's voice caught and her eyes filled with tears and she looked at her feet. "Say it." She whispered, Kasumi cautiously standing up from her seat and moving to place a reassuring hand on her shoulder.

"They found her this morning. We tried to contact you but-"

"But I ignored the messages, I know. I guess I was just trying to avoid it for longer." A tear fell from her eye and she rubbed it away. "Where was she?"

"She was found in a cave a few kilometres from here. It seems to be where the gang was finding accommodation." Hugh said, standing up with the others.

"Where is she now?" Natalie whispered, her eyes shut to try and prevent more tears.

"Still there... we haven't been able to send a crew out to clear the cave yet." Simon said, exchanging worried glances with the others. "Don't go there though. I've heard it's... not a pretty scene." Natalie didn't reply, her gaze on the floor, knowing that when midnight finally arrived, she would be there.