Chapter 28

"You clearly don't know much about guilt, Mr Everhart." Natalie responded, any thought of a smile far from her face as Adrian joined their group.

"You'd be surprised, Miss Walter." He replied calmly, twirling a pen between his fingers. "I lost my mom." His dark eyes watched to see her reaction. She was determined to not give him one. Visually, anyways. Verbally, definitely.

"Well I just lost both my mom and my sister in about a week, my brother murdered my mom and is in jail, and the only person I thought I could trust murdered my sister and is now also in jail. Also, if I had have been at home, I could have saved my mom or stopped my sister from being kidnapped. If I had have been nicer to my brother when I was little, then maybe he wouldn't have turned out the way that he did. So, Mr Everhart, I would say that it was part my fault and the guilt that I'm feeling is proof of that." She finished, the others all gaping at her. "And, to put the cherry on top, I could have worked harder when I still had my family to make their lives more comfortable or that my sister was able to go to the best schools and eat the best food or live like the princess that she deserved to be or that my mother wasn't sick and bedridden by the time she died and instead happy and alive right now." She took a deep breath and looked away, trying not to cry.

"So, on another note, do you think you could throw that knife as well as you shot that arrow?" Smokescreen tentatively asked, pointing at the sheath strapped to her left thigh - fingerprint sensitive to release the blade. Ruby threw her elbow into his side, clearly thinking it inappropriate, before Natalie grabbed the knife and spun, not seeing the target as she threw. It struck the bullseye with a thwack and sat there proudly. "I'll take that as a yes then." Smokescreen gaped. Natalie laughed and grabbed the knife.

"So where are we going today?" Natalie asked, her knife replaced and her emotions hidden.

"I think we're just going around the streets and when they need us they'll contact us." Adrian replied, gesturing to his band. They all nodded and walked out, Oscar taking an alternate route past the candy machines on the way.

So this is a short chapter but I've been working more on the next chapter - sorry for some people but SPOILER ALERT: its gonna have strong relation to Arch Enemies and I'd recommend not reading yet if you haven't already read the second book! It's so much better when you don't know what's gonna happen! (Plus I'm gonna add a new character :) 

Also, I might not be posting in the next few days, I'm not sure, because I'm going away with my family and I'm not sure if I'll be writing or able to post during that time!