Chapter 18

Natalie woke up in a bed in the Renegades hospital, her head feeling like it was filled with cement. It took her a while to fully wake up, but she soon sat up and squeezed her eyes shut, trying to remember what had happened. She was at the gym... Matt turned up... He had Samantha. Her eyes flew open and she jumped out of the bed, renewed with energy.

"Sam." She whispered under her breath. "Where are you." She pulled on her boots and black jacket before peering out from behind the curtain to see doctors everywhere. She would easily be noticed. Natalie shrugged her shoulders before walking out, making it most of the way to the door before someone stopped her.

"Where are you going?" One of the nurses asked, stepping in her path. Nat rolled her eyes.

"I'm going home. This is a waste of time. I have stuff to do." She tried to push past the woman but she stepped in her path again. "Seriously, I have a lot to do. Move!" Natalie skirted around the woman - successfully this time - and got to the doorway before someone else stood in her way.

"Panther, where are you going?" Natalie looked up into the face of the Dread Warden, a concerned yet stern expression on his face.

"I'm going home. I have stuff to do." She replied, trying to move past him but he didn't move.

"Have you gotten clearance from the nurses?" He asked.

"No but I'm gonna go anyways." She replied, quickly changing into cat form and running past him. Simon made a grab for her but he didn't catch her.

"Someone catch that cat!" He called, running after her as people moved to either side of the hall, making no attempt to catch her. As the door swung to close to the stairway, Natalie quickly dodged in and tumbled down the first flight of stairs. Gathering herself again, she sprinted down until she reached ground level. Running at top speed, she made for the doors only to see them closed in front of her. She glanced behind her to see that Simon was still running after her. Shifting back into human form she opened the door and ran out, panting. He stopped chasing her once she got out the door and ran around the corner.

She reached the park - her park - and walked across the grass until she reached the tree. The branches were spread out evenly, although it wasn't the easiest tree to climb. Natalie tore off her Renegade band and threw it among the roots, ignoring the messages that had started coming through. She pulled back her sleeves and began to climb, pulling herself up branch after branch until she reached the top. She could see everything from her spot, from the roots where she'd placed her band to the top of the HQ tower. Minutes, maybe hours passed by and the noise from the streets began to die down. The light from the sky began to die when a figure entered the park, nearing her tree. Staring at a Renegades band of their own, she watched as Blacklight found her band amongst the tree roots, picking it up and looking around.

"Natalie?" He called out, looking around the park. "Natalie!" He yelled louder than before.

"Shh, people might hear you!" She replied, dropping through the branches quickly until she was only a couple above him. "Honestly, Blacklight. Don't people ever think to look up?" Natalie rolled her eyes at him, ignoring the relieved look on his face.

"Everyone's been looking everywhere for you. We've sent heaps of messages. Simon told us that you left the hospital without clearance and we had to check that you were alright."

"I'm fine. I just need space to think." She replied, climbing back up.

"They want you back at HQ." He told her, watching as she escaped back up the tree. "And you really should be wearing your band." He held up her wristband to her and she spun back to him angrily.

"Really, should I?" Her eyes blazed as she stared down the famous Council member. "Because the last thing I want at the moment is be associated with the Renegades, seeing as the only time that I've needed them, they haven't been there for me." She argued, avoiding looking at him. "You wouldn't understand. You are the Renegades, you never would have needed them because you can just do it yourself."

"Natalie..." He started, looking sympathetically at her.

"No!" He eyes flashed back to him and he flinched. "You have never seen your mother's dead body, covered in blood. You haven't had to see your sister's terrified face as she's locked up by one of the only people you trusted, and have to know that she's probably dead and that it's because of you that you lost all the family you have left." She looked away as her eyes began to fill with tears. "Samantha was the sweetest little girl you'd ever meet, and it's my fault she's gone. If I had have been there for her, she'd be at home sitting with me and mom, and I wouldn't have to go looking for her or have to worry about if she's going to come home. I wouldn't be sitting in this tree avoiding everyone and telling you everything bad at the moment." Natalie took a deep breath and pushed back her tears. "Look, I'm sorry for taking my anger out on you. I shouldn't do that. I'm just really stressed." She pulled her legs up to her chest and looked away from the Renegade. She didn't look down as she heard him climbing the branches until he sat on one opposite her.

"You needn't put all that stress on yourself, Panther. It's not all your fault." He made a point to look at her but she didn't look up at him. "You're right, we should have been there for your family, but we're doing our best to find Samantha at the moment. One of the men gave up a location so some teams have gone out to it to see if they're still there."

"I need to go." She whispered and swung down from the branches and wrapped her band around her wrist and ran off, leaving Evander in the tree, watching her run away. 

Hi everyone! Merry (late) Christmas! (If you celebrate!) I hope that everyone has a great holiday! I'm going to try and write a bit more but it turns out when I'm on holidays I'm actually way less productive when it comes to writing. I don't get it, but it is what it is. Have a good break and stay safe everyone! :)