Chapter 32

Danna leaped into the air and transformed into a swarm of butterflies to catch a projectile, crashing to the ground ungracefully in human form.

"Monarch?" Nova asked, watching Danna.

"You've done your research." Oscar smiled. "She's on our team, too, but she got injured at the parade" -Adrian winced- "so she couldn't come to the trials."

"Come on! We'll introduce you!" Ruby latched onto Nova's arm and dragged the group over.

"It's not that easy! Twenty-nine butterflies were burnt off. It's like you trying to catch the thing with three fingers!" She exclaimed to the trainer. Adrian flinched. She looked over and saw the group watching her.

"They let you out of the med wing! That's faster than they thought, right?"

"They said I could start retraining myself to use the swarm. You'd be amazed what a difference it makes when I lose a bunch like that. It's like learning to control them all over again." Natalie stared at Adrian, and paid particular attention to the tension in his shoulders. "But I need to make it through the obstacle course before they send me out on patrol again. It'll be at least another couple of weeks."

"After those burns? Lucky it wasn't worse." Oscar nodded at the bandages and the others nodded.

"And the healers are so great." Ruby smiled and then looked over to Nova. "You haven't met our new girl yet."

"Insomnia, right? I saw the trial. Impressive." They shook hands.

"Gargoyle's not as scary as he thinks." Nova smiled.

"I won't lie. It was refreshing to see someone put Frostbite's team in their place." She laughed and turned to the trainer, and then back to Nova again. "Five minute break? I heard Sketch thinks you'll be a decent surveillance asset."

"We haven't really started to discuss..." Adrian started.

"But there's a lot more to being a good spy than people think." Danna interjected.

"You don't say." Natalie held in a laugh as she recognised the truth behind Nova's statement. Literally why she was there.

"You were great at trials, but they don't really prepare you for reality, you know. In a real situation, especially a surveillance mission, you have to pay attention to the details. And remember them. Put the smallest clues together to make a whole. You never know what's going to be important, so you can't discount anything." She advised, watching Nova's reaction closely.
"Danna is sort of the team surveillance expert. But obviously, what she can do is a different skill set than what you can do. We don't expect... We're grateful to have you both." Adrian added awkwardly.

"Thanks for the tip, Monarch. Truly, I think I can handle it."

"I'm sure you can, I just want you to stay on your toes. I need to make sure these slackers are in good hands when you're out there without me."

"Test me, if you want. See if I pass inspection." Nova shrugged.

"This isn't-" Adrian felt the tension rise in the group.

"No, really. I don't mind. It wasn't fair that she wasn't at the trials, and I want Danna to feel confident in your choice. Eventually, she and I will be on the team together too, right? So, go ahead. Let's see how good I am at this surveillance stuff." She challenged casually.

"Okay. Without looking... how many exits are there out of this hall?" Danna asked, eyes narrowed.

"Oh come on, this is her first day!" Ruby protested but Natalie kept her eyes on Nova, as did Danna.

"Seven." Nova replied, her eyes never leaving Danna's. Oscar and Adrian turned in a circle and counted the exits. "Though one could argue that with this many prodigies around, able to manipulate metal or blow their way through concrete, there is potential for countless more exits is needed. There are also ten security cameras, two fire extinguishers, and five vending machines - one of which sells nothing but candy, which seriously has me questioning the Renegades' commitment to adequate nutrition." Danna's face softened.

"She's already got our number there!" Oscar laughed. "Wait until you see the cafeteria. They have a mac and cheese bar!"

"How many occupants?" Danna added.

"Do you know how many people are in here?" Nova raised her eyebrow.

"Nope, just checking that you're actually not better at this than I am." Danna laughed.

"Well, I don't have an exact count. Fifty-ish, I'd guess. And so far, I've only discerned the abilities of sixteen of them." She watched one of the others use their powers. "Seventeen."

After a bit more conversation, they decided to go and see the Bandit, Natalie planning to talk to Adrian later about his secrets. 

Hi, so sorry for the wait again! I know I said I would update soon from the last chapter, and I also know that this doesn't count as soon :( and another sorry that this chapter was very uneventful. Pretty much just talking and literally no Natalie or Alannah, just the stuff that Marissa wrote in the original book. I kinda do just need to get some of the plot out of the way before I get to the fun stuff, so oh well. This is all I've written up to for now and stuff at home has just gotten really stressful and in a couple weeks I'm going overseas for three weeks and then it's Christmas so I don't know when I next will be able to update (again, I'm sorry I've become so unreliable :((( ) So I hope you're all going ok, take care of yourselves guys and if you ever need anyone to talk to dm me, I log in every couple days to check stuff so I'll be able to listen or talk or whatever you need. 

Until next time, guys 

xx