Chapter 8

I'm on a roll tonight! 2 chapters posted! (Even if this one is short!) Enjoy!

Time passed by slowly in the dark cells of the Renegades Headquarters. Alannah and Winston were yet to be questioned, both chained to the wall by their hands and Alannah also by her feet. Anytime the guard looked into the cell, which was more like a large room, Alannah would glare and Winston would grin like the madman he was. Finally, the door flew open, with the one and only Hugh Everhart standing in the doorway with three younger prodigies standing slightly behind him.

"Have you been searched yet?" One of the younger prodigies asked, looking worried. He had a mop of messy, dark brown hair and dark brown eyes, with a light skin tone. He had a pair of glasses hanging from the neckline of his shirt and a pen in his hand, which was being twisted nervously. Winston made no attempt to respond, and Alannah was cleaning her nails. An "annoyed" and "confused" expression came across her face and she reached into her pocket and drew out a thin knife to continue cleaning her nails. The silence ensued as Alannah put the knife away and stared at the group in the entryway, all standing with their mouths unattractively open.

"Do you want something, or are you just going to stand their gaping at us for a while?" Alannah asked, bored as their mouths all slammed shut in unison. A sly smile found its place on Alannah's face and Winston grinned too. The Renegades looked like idiots in a circus. Fantastic.

"Alannah Steward and Winston Pratt, we're here to ask you if you have any reason as to why you were terrorising people during the parade at 11:52 am this morning." Hugh recited, shifting his gaze from Alannah to Winston and back again.

"Always so formal." Winston giggled quietly, looking at Alannah.

"As the self nominated spokesperson of the villains in this cell, I will reply for the both of us." Alannah stared into Hugh's eyes, matching his formality. "And as for this question, we choose to pass. Next question?" She raised her eyebrow, gesturing with her chained hands for them to continue.

"So you have no response?" A girl next to the brown haired boy asked, her eyebrows drawn together in a frown.

"That's not what I said, I said I am choosing to skip the question." Alannah replied slowly, glancing at Winston. "Is that all, because Winston and I have important business to attend to and we don't want Renegades in here to ruin it."

A sweet yet patronising smile formed on Alannah's face, as if she were seeing how long it would take for them to get annoyed. But of course, that is what she was doing.

"Impaler, you are treading on very thin ice." Hugh warned, his gaze sharp. Alannah leaned back against the stone wall of the cell and crossed her arms across her chest, as if she were relaxing at her house. Which, of course, she didn't have and was instead located in the sewers.

"Chromium Dude, I really don't have the time for you to waste. So if you have any questions for us, please ask them before I lose my temper." Alannah warned in return, her gaze and tone turning icy. She raised her head up straight and gestured with her and as if to say, 'Well?'. Captain Chromium and his Renegades stood there for a moment's hesitation before turning around and exiting the cell. "That's what I thought." Alannah smugly replied. Not a moment after, Captain Chromium spun around and walked back into the cell, crouching in front of Alannah and grabbed her chin, forcing it upright for her to meet his gaze. They both glared back at each other, and it was hard to tell who was more furious. Alannah didn't get out her knives both for a show of strength and restraint and because she knew he could be hard to injure, cause, you know, Chromium?

"You say one more smart word back to me and I'll make sure you never see the light of day again." He threatened, his voice hardly more than a whisper as he stood up and turned his back on her again.

"Jeez, you could have just said so. But nooo, you have to be all 'creepy' and 'threatening'!" Alannah yelled after him. "Oh I'm so terrified! Well one day you'll regret that!" The glare he sent back was nothing to match hers. The door slammed shut behind them and she heard the locks slam home. She looked over to Winston and they both started laughing; a cackle that seemed to come from nowhere but end up everywhere as it echoed around the room. Alannah's face was turned away from Winston as she was laughing so he wouldn't see her expression, or the tears that had just made their way down her face.