Chapter 15

Natalie looked up from her feet on the mats, her newly healed foot showing no pain. A long rope hung from the roof 30 feet above her and she strapped on her hand guards, pulling the velcro tight.

"You know only one person has ever climbed that rope, right? It's twice the height of the average rope. Did you sign in? I don't remember seeing you." A woman's voice nagged from behind her as Natalie glared and turned around to face the woman.

"Jennifer, after me having been here for years now, you would have thought that you would recognise me, see me sign in, and leave me be once I'm in here. And yes, I do know that only one person has ever climbed the rope, cause that person was me!" Natalie snapped, watching the woman's face turn to shock. "Sorry, Jennifer, that was rude. I'm just a bit stressed." The older woman's face turned knowing and she walked back over to her desk as Natalie faced the rope once more. She'd only ever successfully climbed the rope once before, every other time she'd fallen into the 10 foot deep foam pit that surrounded it for those who fell, making sure they didn't severely injure themselves. It'd been a year since that day and she'd been neglecting her daily trips to the gym for a long time now, the stress of home life and working two jobs (she'd quit the second job when her mom died and she couldn't find Samantha) taking up all her spare time.

Natalie took a deep breath and placed her hands on the rope and began climbing, her mind racing with the events of the last few days. Alannah - imprisoned. Samantha - missing. Jake - returned from the dead as a member of the Jackals and a murderer. Her mom - dead, killed by Jake. And Natalie - becoming more and more stressed as the days passed, spending less and less time at the Renegades headquarters as her life got more difficult and her mental health declined. The more her mind raced, the faster she climbed and it was not long until she reached the top. She climbed onto the platform next to the top of the rope, meant for resting after the 30 foot climb and sat down, crossing her legs. She twisted her dads ring on her finger as she thought of her sister, lost in who knows where, probably alone, or worse, with some of Jake's cronies. She shut her eyes tight and wrapped her arms around herself.

"Samantha. Where are you?" She whispered. The black of the back of her eyelids lit up as she gasped and watched the scene unfold. Her sister was chained to the floor of a cave, her hair a mess and her clothes in tatters.

"No! Leave Natalie alone!" She screamed, pulling against her chains towards some people in the shadows. The shadows laughed and one extracted itself from the rest. The only one not wearing a mask. Natalie gasped as the figure's face reached the light and she could see who it was.

"Don't worry, she'll be in good hands..." The shadow (who was no longer actually a shadow, having come into the light), grinned, his smirk making his once attractive features ugly. "Now what is the name of that gym she used to go to? The one she beat the rope record of?" He asked, leaning closer to Natalie's little sister, who in turn, returned his smirk.

"Why should I tell you that?" Samantha asked, while Natalie could see one of the other men lay a hand on a knife.

'Just tell them Sam. It doesn't matter, just don't get hurt on my account.' Natalie wished, squeezing her eyes shut tighter. Samantha pulled back, as if stunned, and Natalie realised that she could hear her. 'Don't show weakness, Samantha. Stay strong. Just tell them where the gym is. Yes, I am here now, but I'm prepared. My one job for you is to not get hurt.' Samantha's spine straightened as she stood up straight and stared down the man in front of her.

"She used to go to Jenny's Gym before we went broke, but we could never afford a membership now. She wouldn't be there." Samantha said, replying but still trying to keep her sister safe. 'What the hell?' Samantha thought, communicating it through to Natalie. 'How can I hear you?'

'It must be dad's rings! We've never been able to do this before!' Nat replied, shimmying down the rope as she communicated with her sister.

'Wait you actually are at the gym! I'm so sorry! Get out, now!' Sam frantically told her sister.

'Don't worry, I'm gonna go now, contact the Renegades and get them caught.'

'Nat, I'm so sorry about Ma-"

"It's alright Sam, it's not your fault. Stay safe.' Natalie reached the ground and started heading towards Jennifer, her head spinning.

'No Nat! Wait!' Natalie cut the connection and bit down her emotion. Sam was safe. Sort of.