Chapter 26

"It's kinda a long story." Natalie replied shortly.

"It's not really." Alannah disagreed lightly.

"Fine, you got us into this, you tell it." Natalie gave up. Alannah opened her mouth to speak when Natalie cut her off again. "Actually, that's completely irrelevant to the reason that we're here so let's get back to that conversation." Natalie said.

"If they want to know, let's tell them." Alannah insisted, raising her eyebrows at Natalie.

"Alannah, shut up! That's a stupid idea!" Natalie replied, exasperated.

"No, I think Miss Steward is right." Hugh interjected. Natalie raised her arms and let them fall, slapping them against her sides.

"Fine. Your funeral. No cameras and no recording though." Natalie said.

"That I agree with." Alannah commented. After a bit of arguing, the cameras and recording devices in the room were shut off and Natalie moved to sit on top of the table.

"So, Alannah and I have known each other for a long time. For most of my life, I guess. She was born into the Anarchists through her father, as was I, I'm sure you know by now." She looked at them pointedly, remembering the conversation about her whilst she was hiding in the Council room. "Alannah was my only close friend as I grew up but after the Day of "Triumph", Alannah and my lives split and I didn't get to see her as often. My mom thought it would be good for me to stay away from the Anarchists and avoid the trouble they would cause me and Sam." Her voice caught. "Sam didn't know about our past she was too young." Natalie stopped talking and her eyes were glued to Samantha's ring.

"Natalie and I still talked even though she wasn't meant to and the others didn't encourage me talking to her. She and I were still friends though, even though she was such a good girl and I'm... me." Alannah added. "We've basically just been friends ever since we met and no title is going to change that." The two girls looked at each other and Natalie gave Alannah a weak smile.

"We're going to need to think about this information." Hugh started, talking slow as he thought and two of the guards walked into the room. "Lock them both up." He reluctantly ordered.

"What?!" Alannah shouted. Natalie looked up in shock and then shook her head.

"I thought you were better than this. I thought you'd believe me." She looked at the two men, disappointed. "I never thought you'd discriminate against me because of who my friends were or who I'm related to." She glared at them both. "I guess I was wrong. Very wrong. I hope you feel happy with yourselves." She spat before turning with her head held high and marching out of the room, escorted by guards. Alannah hung back.

"If this continues, I swear I'll kill you both. Natalie is having a hard enough time already and now you're locking her up? Her reputation will be ruined. No one will ever trust her again." Alannah threatened. "I'm glad to see the people who are running our city have no sense of care whatsoever. Have a good day." She turned and followed Natalie, guards on either side of her. Both girls were chained up in the same cell across from each other, fuming.

"I'm sorry. This is my fault." Alannah cut through the silence.

"No, it's not. I could have denied it." Natalie sighed. "The truth is, I'm sick of all the lies. I'm sick of hiding who I am when I already know that they know. There's no point to it. It just stresses me out. If they decide that's what they want to do, then let them. I'm just a bit disappointed in them I guess."

"Well let's see how long this charade plays out before they realise their mistake and bring you back." Alannah grinned. Natalie was not so easily swayed.

"Let's hope it's not too long." She replied, her eyes on the rain running down the barred window.

We love having 8 hours straight of writing. It's actually really enjoyable, even if it is crappy! Anything to avoid holiday homework is fun haha