Chapter 24

"Oh crap." A team of Renegades stood in Alannah's cell doorway, smirking at her. "Well, hi everyone. My name is Alannah and if you DON'T GIVE ME SOME DAMN PRIVACY IMMA KILL YOU!" She shouted, knives appearing all over her body. She stepped forward and raised a knife in either hand. The quickly backed away and slammed the door as she cackled. "Take that you wimps." She muttered, grabbing a dried piece of jerky from the tray of food and biting into the tough meat. "Give them 1 minute, maybe 2. They'll be back." She leaned back against the wall, standing on top of her discarded chains before getting an idea. She'd never entered the sight of the camera. "Idiots." She laughed, sitting down and quickly doing up the chains again. She'd been here the whole time. That team was going mental. Not 30 seconds after, a guard unlocked her cell, the team of 4 standing behind her.

"I knew it! Called it!" She sang. "No more than 2 minutes!" She turned her gaze to the guard. "Good evening, Mr Tyler. How is your night going?" She asked him sweetly, getting a glare in return. "Soon it will be going, going, GONE!" She cackled, bending over and trying to avoid dying - too much - as she laughed.

"Impaler, we've received notice that you have been out of your cell and only just returned." He announced.

'As if I don't already know that.' Alannah thought. Sending him another sweet smile, she thought up a proper reply.

"Mr Tyler, how many times have I told you to call me Alannah?" She said, getting another glare. "Fine, have it your way. I've been in my cell since I was last questioned and my cell room was changed. If you don't believe me, look on the camera footage. You won't find anything different. And would you really believe this random teams word over my own with no proof of what they're saying being true?" Alannah asked, watching as the Renegades all became enraged. They closed her door and she listened to it slam shut as she leaned back.

"All in a night's work." She said, closing her eyes.

The chains and pendants of the necklaces chimed gently against each other as Natalie made her way to the park and their tree - her tree. Climbing the branches, she found her comfortable spot among the leaves and a place where the bark of the tree didn't feel too hard. She hung her bags on one of the branches nearby and climbed back down, grabbing extra leaves and branches that had fallen from the trees nearby. She brought them back up and placed them in place strategically so that they would cover her - for the most part - if rain decided to fall. Shifting around until she was in a comfortable position for the most part, Natalie closed her eyes and waited for sleep to come. Having never been a good sleeper, it wasn't easy. By the time images of her mom and sister's bodies flashing through her head had started to drive her mad, she had given up on sleeping and tucked herself into a little ball, rain starting to fall.

"Well isn't that fitting." She whispered to herself, the trees beginning to groan under the weight as the rain grew heavier and heavier. Pulling her mom's blanket closer for warmth, she looked out into the rain and stared, feeling nothing.

"I wonder when the rain will stop." Simon observed, watching out the window. The morning had to be coming soon, but with the storm and everything happening with the HQ, he and Hugh had found it difficult to sleep. "It just seems to be getting heavier and heavier."

"Then we'll have to wait until it stops before we can get to HQ." Hugh replied, his eyes glued to his tablet.

"Why would we go now? It's only-" Simon checked his watch. "-4 in the morning." Hugh sighed and looked up.

"If you'd actually check your messages for once you'd see that Impaler had been out of her cell but returned a couple hours ago. They want us to question her. Apparently she's being 'difficult'." He used quotation fingers to emphasise his point which was that it simply wasn't important.

"If she escaped, why would she go back?" Simon asked. "Who sent the report?"

"Exactly my point!" Hugh replied, looking at Simon like he was a genius. "But it was sent by Genissa Clark, so I don't know why she'd lie about that." The two men scratched their heads in unison, watching the storm.

"What do you think happened with Natalie?" Simon asked. "She seemed to take it reasonably well."

"From the outside that's what we saw. I bet that's only what she wanted us to see, not what she was actually feeling." Hugh countered. "No one would take the loss of a sister that easily. And it seemed that Natalie was close with her sister. It was weird though, because I could have sworn she had already known about it." The two superheros fell into silence as they watched the rain storm turn into a thunderstorm, the wind and rain growing stronger and stronger.