Chapter Six

Chapter 6

Natalie’s POV:

“Is it the babies?” Romy asked.

“It can’t be, she’s not due for almost two months!”

“One and a half,” Chloey corrected her boyfriend.

“Just sit down and we’ll unpack,” Jake decided.

“No fair!” Grace said.

“If you ever get pregnant, you can let everyone else unpack your things. For now, you have no baby bump, so get outside and unload the car,” Jake replied.

We all went outside and started bringing boxes and things, until we heard a yell from inside.

Scout streaked out, followed by Beth.

“That bloody dog stole a biscuit!” she said.

“Honey!” Chloey screamed. “Ouch!”

Jake and I sprinted inside, to find Chloey bent over. “It hurts. It hurts a lot,” she said.

Jake started freaking out while I grabbed Chloey’s hands. “It’s okay, it’s probably nothing. Just breathe through it,” I told her.

“I need to go to the bathroom,” she said.

“YOUR WATER IS BREAKING,” Jake yelled.

“No it’s not, shut up,” I told him. “Go unpack.”

“Stand up slowly,” I said to Chloey. She did, still holding her belly, and sighed.

“That feels better. It felt really tight.”

“Go to the toilet and then we’ll call the doctor. Jake, what’s your doctor’s name?”

He got out his phone and dialled the number; when Chloey waddled back, he pressed call.

I left them and went outside, where everyone was listening at the door.

“You can all go in if you want!” I opened the door and they rushed in.

Becky’s POV:

“Yeah… alright… okay,” Chloey was saying.

She put the phone down and turn to us, a tired grin on her face.

“It’s just Braxton Hicks,” she said.

Oh yeah, my cousin had them, I thought.

“Oh yeah, my cousin had them,” I said.

“Thanks Beck,” Jake said. “We really couldn’t have gone on without knowing that.”

“Shut up,” I said. “Please shut up.”

“So anyway, does somebody want to research Braxton Hicks?” Gabbie suggested.

Meg coughed. “Nerd.” She coughed again and ducked when Imi swiped at her.

“Okay, okay calm down,” Nat said. “What time is it?”

“Eleven thirty,” Jake answered.

“Eleven thirty one,” Imi said.

“Whatever… so is it too early for lunch?”

“Yeah,” Meg said. “A bit.”

“How about we go and do something?”

“How about we discuss baby names,” Meg suggested.

“YEAH!” Chloey yelled. “BECAUSE I TOTALLY NEED MORE STRESS ABOUT THIS STUPID BABY!”

“Um, honey,” Jake said. “Calm down.”

“Don’t tell her what to do,” Imi said.

Jake rolled his eyes and walked out, continuing to unpack. Imi took Chloey and some stuff up to the bedroom they would be staying in – one on the third floor. Romy was going to go on the fourth floor with us.

I went outside to help Jake.

“So, Jakie,” I said.

“Don’t call me that,” he said. I shrugged and continued. I asked him about work (he was at university and worked at Macca’s), about girls (Chloey), about Romy (amazing as always), about food (edible) and a bunch of other stuff. I sat on the hood of the car, like in the cliché American movies, and he carried boxes in and out.

“Want to help?” he asked. I shook my head and continued chattering.  

“Okay, then.”

Yeah… Jake knows me. I don’t help.