One

"Oh my God! She's crossed the first defensive perimeter. Alarm bells are going off. Have you seen that Bonny? It has to be her. This is incredible! Oh my God! She's coming after me."

I get up out of the chair jumping in excitement with my hands up in the air. I'm feeling like a fan about to see her favourite singer going on stage in a mass concert, I'd love to scream of joy but it would be unwise at this moment. Extending my arm to reach the mouse I click on the different images of my security cameras to monitor her progress... There she's, a barely visible shadow in an alley. Damn she's good, so good... I don't know how much information about me her employer has given her but it isn't possible that she knows all about my security systems and yet it's hard to see a clear image of her face in one of my many cameras. I wonder what's going through her mind... Is she having a bad feeling right now? Nobody reaches her level of skill, having survived for long years, without some kind of sixth sense. I'm sure she's feeling it, she knows something goes wrong and that's why she walks so carefully. I still can't believe she's here for me.

I make sure that everything is ready once again, my system must not fail or I'll be dead and to be honest I don't feel like dying today, just now when my life it's getting interesting finally. I've been waiting for her for the last two days, since I tracked down the bank transfer from Aidan Finn... "Seriously, only 200.000$ for my head? My life's worth more than that... what a jerk!" I feel offended. Anyway, it's no time to be thinking about money, she'll be here any minute and I can't afford to make a mistake. Taking one of my tablets to keep my monitoring on I walk silently to the door, leaning against the wall and then bending down till I squat on the floor. I have to make sure that my reflection in my many computer screens can't be seen from the entrance. My plan is pretty simple: she'll arrive, she'll search the house, she'll find the basement door, she'll go downstairs... and I'll neutralize her before she enters the room. Actually, my motion detectors will do it when they shoot her an anaesthetic dart. If I'm lucky enough, they won't be bullets or noise.

"Hey Josie, what should I wear to greet an assassin? Do you think I'm dressed okay?" I look down: black yoga pants, sneakers and a grey hoodie from the MIT; with my dark hair in a ponytail, black horn-rimmed glasses and without make-up I look totally like the nerd I am.

"Meow."

"You're absolutely right darling, I don't have many other options in my closet. Moreover this is comfortable and practical for the task ahead, a dress and a pair of high heels aren't the perfect look when someone is coming to kill you unless you're the star of a Hollywood film. Now be quiet, she's about to open the door."

Thanks to the infrared cameras placed above the front door I can see her picking the lock, I've made that easy for her but not that much because I don't want her to get suspicious. She starts looking through the house: living room, kitchen, bathroom... come on... bedroom, another bedroom... this is starting to get on my nerves, why is she moving so slowly? It's pretty obvious that there's no one upstairs... Come on, get down here. "Oh my God, here she comes!" I try to hold my breath, I don't want to make any noise and force her to act even more cautiously; she seems very suspicious already. She stops halfway down the stairs... shit! I'm going to die suffocated is she doesn't keep walking. I know what she's seeing: light, electronic equipment noises, soft music and two shadows moving. It's pretty good bait, enough to intrigued her and to make her get closer; I just hope she doesn't shoot my cats. She takes a few more steps and suddenly she's right at the door while my eyes are about to pop out of their sockets and my lungs burn in need of air. "Move on, please," I think desperately and right then I hear a thud when her body collapses on the floor.

I take two deep breaths relieved before putting my head out of the door cautiously. She's laying on her belly, face-down, but her hand still grabs her gun; the dart is sticking out of her shoulder. "I hope she didn't hurt herself in the fall," I think worried while removing the dart. I crawl closer and touch her cheek but there's no reaction, carefully I brush her dark brown hair away from her face and stare at her: she's sound asleep but still frowning. I give the gun a kick and then I look at centre of the room estimating the distance... All right, it's time to go ahead with my plans since the anaesthetic won't last long. I stand up to leave my tablet on a table and then I return to her side again, I bend down and place my arms around her chest. Let's go...

"Ouch! How can she be so heavy? She looks slim to me even if she's all muscle." Damn! I don't think I can carry her all the way. I try to drag her along the floor pulling her arms but she barely moves. Shit! I'm running out of time and this doesn't look good for me. My eyes rake over her body from the tip of her sensible boots till reaching her dark brown hair and her pale face: she's wearing a black turtle neck sweater and black pants. Her clothes are good quality but not made of fragile fabric, I guess they're comfortable for fighting. "I'm sorry my friend," I think shrugging, "if your clothes get dirty, I'll pay you the dry cleaner... as long as you don't kill me." Like that, I start to push her to make her roll towards the centre of the room. With each turn a metallic sound can be heard, obviously she's carrying more weapons than the gun that's on the floor by the door. We reach the chair and this time there's no other way: mustering all my strength, pick her up off the floor and I drop her on the metal seat. "Oh, my gosh! I'm going to need a shower after all this activity."

I rush to place her arms on the armrests and lock the handcuffs, at least now she can't shoot me, then I secure her ankles to the chair legs with another pair of my very special handcuffs. I pick her gun up off the floor holding it cautiously with two of my fingers and I place it on a table carefully. Then I get close to my "guest" once again and I try to shake the dust that has left white stains on her black clothes with my hand. Suddenly my fingers find something hard, a knife maybe? I think I don't want to touch her body anymore, definitely I'd rather she bill me the dry cleaner. I brush her hair off her face gently, it's soft and silky, not what you'd expect from one of the best hired assassins of the whole world. Her skin is also soft, pale and flawless, and her facial features feminine despite her chiselled jawline. She's an estrange combination of strength and vulnerability... maybe is that what makes her so captivating.

It can't be too much longer till she wakes up so I step back and sit down on a chair in front of her, just a few inches apart. Bonny and Josie get closer to sniff curiously this new human that has invaded their personal space, they aren't used to having guests really but they aren't shy either and finally they end up rubbing her legs with their bodies, leaving cat fur all over her black pants. Well, definitely I'm paying her dry cleaner now. Heaving a sigh, I take my phone opening the special app that codifies my calls; I'm very proud of this design, it took me weeks of work programming nonstop. I dial the number of one of my bosses, my favourite one actually. He picks up the phone on the second ring:

"You have her?"

"Yep, the one and only."

"I can't believe it! That jerk did it finally. Of course this is going to have consequences within The Company, the underground won't tolerate this. Wait for me, I'll be there in 20 minutes. And be careful, even if she's tied up she's still dangerous."

"All right, we wait here. Come through the backyard, you already know the pass code of the back door."

My boss hangs up the phone and I close the app. I check my security systems to make sure she's alone for this task: it's not common for her to work with someone these days, she's been spending a lot of time alone recovering and training. I put some food on my cats' bowls because this will keep them busy for a while so they won't use my guest's boots to sharpen their claws. The sedative should wear off soon and I get ready... she won't be happy with me, most likely. Minutes tick by... that's weird, she should be already awake... what if she's awake and just pretending to sleep? I frown, clearing my throat, leaning forward in order to move my face closer to her face and I whisper:

"Ares."

Suddenly, she opens her shiny green eyes shooting a poisonous look. Woah... she's really furious with me.