Eighteen

'Ding.'

I lift my head groggily, blinking in the semi-darkness, and my hand pats the nightstand surface looking for my phone while yawning. "Where the hell...?" Ares enters my field of vision, places a steamy cup of tea on the nightstand and leaves my phone in my hand. "Thank you," I whisper sleepy. Lying face down, I place the device on the pillow and I unlock it to check the alert: Aidan Finn has chosen one of his several aliases to catch a plane back to Ireland, he's likely going to fix things with the rest of the mob. I send Winston a text and he answers me immediately recommending me to be cautious, even if the enemy has retreated some of his minions are still in the city. Yawning again, I take two big sips of tea that, thanks God, is cooled to the perfect temperature. "I can't believe how early my boss gets up, he's already working at this hour." I look up at the kitchen clock... it's 9 in the morning and not 7 in the morning as I thought. The assassin has let me sleep late, why? A stabbing pain on my stiff thighs reminds me the reason and I sit down on the bed, fully awake now, bending my knees under the sheets to hide my breasts.

Ares comes back and leaves a tray on the blanket next to me. I blink shocked when I identify the content: fresh bread that she must have bought this morning, I didn't realize that she'd left the house, hazelnut and chocolate cream and some sliced fruit. I hold back my tears touched by her kindness, not only because she's spoiling me, but because she listens to me and cares about what I'm saying: I briefly mentioned days ago that my favourite flavour combination was chocolate and orange and she's remembered it. I stare at her while she opens the curtains to let the light in and comes back to my side smiling, she gives me a peck on my lips and steals a piece of fruit from my bowl before pointing at the tray and going back to the kitchen. "All right, it's breakfast time," I think while I grab enthusiastically a butter knife.

Licking my fingers I take advantage of the fact that the assassin has taken the tray and has got her back to me to rescue my T-shirt from the floor and put it on. I get out of bed slowly since I'm still sore and I walk towards the bathroom ready to have the warmest and longest shower of my entire life. Ares snaps her fingers to get my attention and she points at the bag on the trunk... my clothes, of course, I was forgetting my clothes. Blushing, I take what I need and I go back to the bathroom. Her bottle of rosehip oil is waiting for me to rub my stiff muscles next to the sink. "Damn woman, she always thinks of everything. It's so fucking easy to fall in love with her." It's too late to deny it: I'm crazy about Ares and absolutely in love with Andreja, luckily, they're both the same woman. "This is going to hurt," my conscience whispers in my head. "And I'm not talking about physical pain, you know this affair has an expiration date." I sigh in resignation, of course I know that. "But I can't do anything about it so why not enjoy and have fun?" My conscience nods, agreeing with me for once.

When I walk out of the bathroom, properly dressed for once with a pair of yoga pants and a tank top, the assassin is waiting for me; she makes a hand gesture and I give her the T-shirt I wore last night. I realize that the bed is freshly made and the dirty sheets are on the kitchen floor in front of the washing machine were Ares is shoving more clothes. I blush when I remember why today is a laundry day, I walk towards the couch with my eyes fixed on the floor and take my tablet pretending to check my e-mail. Josie sits on my lap, relieving the stiffness with her heat while I scratch her behind her ears.

I must still be a little sleepy because I haven't realized that the assassin is in front of me till I find her hips moving at my eye level, the drawstring of her sweatpants is dancing before my face. "What is she doing?" I think confused. I turn my head and look up, she's using a tape measure to choose the best place where hanging her new map. Josie jaws, stretches her paws and jumps to the floor leaving my lap so Ares takes advantage of it to place her knee on the couch between my legs, close to my core, and she continues to measure the wall. I swallow hard staring mesmerized at her thigh and further up at the area of her skin that pokes out of her waistband, so soft and flawless, covered with black ink in the form of a rosary twisting... a moan tears from my throat and the assassin looks down, shocked. Then she smirks cockily and places a hand on my neck, her thumb rubs my cheek gently and she bends down to lock her lips with mines, deepening the kiss when she feels my enthusiastic response. "God, she tastes so good. Orange, chocolate and Ares..." My head starts spinning due to the lack of oxygen but I'll keep kissing her till I die suffocated.