Twenty

We're getting close to our car and, even if the walk has helped a little, I'm still feeling full and about to explode. I hope the assassin doesn't expect me to visit Nonna frequently. "Don't worry," says my conscience ruthlessly. "When your problem with the Irish man is solved finally and you don't need a bodyguard anymore, she'll vanish from your life and Nonna won't stuff you like a Thanksgiving turkey again." I heave a sigh exasperated, my conscience is the most negative person I've ever met, it causes depression when you hear it. "Do you realize that your conscience and you are the same person, don't you? I ask myself in my mind. "I'm totally insane, raving mad," I shake my head sadly and my companion looks at me confused while she still holds my hand. All of a sudden her grin gets frozen on her face, her eyes seem darker and her jaw clenches while she stares at something behind me over my shoulder. Oh my God, this has been fascinating... she's turned from Andreja into Ares before my eyes in less than a second.

I turn my head trying to find out what's bothering her but she doesn't let me. She puts her arm around my waist and forces me to walk as fast as I can to my car, dodging people that have already finished eating their dinner in Little Italy and are leaving the neighbourhood: I've just noticed that she has took her gun in her hand and she's ready to use it even if she keeps it hidden with her jacket. With a sudden movement she shoves me to my seat after opening the passenger door, I land without elegance and I try to straighten up a little to see what's happening but, with an imperious snap of her fingers and a growl, Ares tells me to keep out of sight. It's pretty clear that the kindness and fun are over, this isn't the assassin's free time anymore: this is work. Taking advantage of a group of boys that are walking down the street laughing and joking, my bodyguard uses them as a shield to go around the car and reach her seat without exposing herself to the enemy. She closes the door, turns on the engine and steps on the gas without fastening her belt or leaving the gun.

"What's happening?" I ask worried.

"Irish men," she whispers while driving and looking in the rear-view mirror every few seconds.

There's too much traffic in this area to go very fast and, what is more, some rain drops are starting to hit our windshield. I less than a minute it's raining heavily over New York while thunders can be heard in the distance. "Great! This city is a fucking chaos when it's raining and everybody tries to find a cab to go home," I think while I bite my lower lip seeing people running along the sidewalk. Ares has no choice but to stop at a traffic light and, looking constantly in the rear-view mirror, she leans towards me and fastens my safety belt before doing the same with hers. I try to straighten up a little again because my back is hurting but she growls at me and pushes me down with her hand on my shoulder. Okay I get it, I have to use my seat as a shield so nobody can see me through the back window; I twist awkwardly trying to find a comfortable position. Ares doesn't seem to care about my problems since she's only focused on the mirror and the traffic light.

The assassin leaves her gun on her lap and she types on the GPS looking for who knows what while she's keeping an eye on the Irish men behind us. She nods satisfied and places both hands on the wheel, she steps on the gas the moment the traffic light turns green and starts zigzagging among the cars as fast as she can, fighting against the traffic, before turning left abruptly. Nonna's food jumps slightly in my stomach. A sharp turn to the right and the little movement in my stomach turns into a somersault. With a new sharp turn while I hear the tires drifting, my pasta is doing one and a half somersaults with four and a half twists. All of a sudden, the Irish men vanish from my mind and my only concern now is not to vomit in my car. I close my eyes and clench my jaw, praying so this whole mess is over soon while I hear the drops hitting the windshield. Ares keeps turning and zigzagging while she steps on the gas and I hear other cars honking and even some pedestrians screaming. I break a cold sweat and feel dizzy.