Thirty

"It's beautiful..." I whisper delighted.

Ares told me that she had a little apartment in Milan and that's exactly what it is: a typical bachelor pad. I can picture her living here during those years she went to the University and worked for D'Antonio family before moving to New York following that asshole Santino. The living room/kitchen is a big rectangular area with a hardwood floor that matches the wooden rafters of the ceiling since we're on the top floor under the roof. The grey couch by the window has an L shape and matches the grey marble of the antique small fireplace in front of it.

"It's an original..." The electronic sound of the Assassin's device startles me. "This building was a palace during the last century and it was divided into several separate apartments so the fireplace is original along with the moulding on the walls and around the ceiling."

I smile fascinated, the truth is that this combination of ancient and modern suits the place perfectly. Furniture is comfortable and functional and the steel lamps are scattered strategically around the room so it seems more luminous. In front of the couch on one side of the fireplace there's a small TV and a small fridge on the other side, next to the couch there's a light wood table with three chairs and the kitchenette with white cabinets: it's really small but since the ceiling is very high the cabinets are double height to be able to store more things. A narrow corridor with a huge closet with mirror doors on one side leads to the bedroom where there's a light wood Queen Size bed, a book case full of Italian volumes, a chair and a small desk under the only window that overlooks the street, the fine white curtains let the light pour in. In front of the corridor closet is a little bathroom tiled with light green tesserae in Venetian mosaic, a hardwood floor like the one of the rest of the apartment and white sanitary ware. The bathtub is deep and has a glass panel. This apartment is perfect for two persons.

"I love it," I tell her enthusiastically before putting my hand on my side again. The painkiller is wearing off and my throbbing rib feels worse than ever.

My bodyguard leaves our luggage at the foot of the bed, opens my suitcase and rummages in it till she finds my toilet bag and a pink oversize T-shirt with a sign that says "Nerd Princess," then she shoves me into the bathroom after removing my coat and jacket carefully. I get undressed and wash up slowly, each one of my movements make me flinch slightly, and I leave my toilet bag on a little wood shelf before going out. Ares has turned the heater on and the apartment is getting warm but it's still slightly cold, she's made the bed too and the white sheets and blue blanket are tantalizingly turned down: I let my clothes drop in her hands and I hope in bed without a second thought, I sigh in relief when I'm finally able to straighten my back on the mattress: I can't take a deep breathe yet but I'm definitely more comfortable than on the plane seat. The Assassin hangs up my pants in the closet and stares at my ruined silk shirt before throwing it in a corner. I think that I fall asleep for some minutes because when I open my eyes again she's standing by the bed, wearing dark jeans and a blue turtle neck while she types on her device.

"I'm going to the supermarket..." I nod before mouthing the word 'chocolate.' My bodyguard tilts her head to one side like she's thinking about it before nodding with a smile. "Don't leave the house." I roll my eyes hard, where I could go since I can barely move? "When I come back, we'll eat and give you another painkiller. You'll feel better tomorrow and we'll go shopping, you need a new blue shirt and fix the body armour and the hole on your coat."

"All right. Thank you... Andy." The Assassin tilts her head again before leaning her knee on the mattress and hoovering my body to place a kiss on my lips, and then one more, and one more... like she doesn't want to leave me. Her mouth meld with mine while her knuckles graze my jaw and she slides her fingers further down gently. Her thumb under my chin forces me to tilt my head back slightly and she locks her lips on my neck, just above the edge of my T-shirt. She sucks and bites with great care for a whole minute, till a purple hickey is clearly visible on my pale skin and she tears a lengthy moan from my throat. The Assassin smirks smugly against my flesh but she finally sighs, grazes my face with her knuckles, kisses my forehead and leaves the bedroom. The last thing I hear before falling asleep again is the door closing.