Ten

"Room service!"

I open my eyes startled by the strong voice of the waiter and the serving cart wheels squeaking while coming in the living room. A male voice whispers something and a door slam sounds loudly. I feel dazed for a few seconds, not knowing exactly where I am while I stretch out my limbs on the bed, rubbing the soft sheets under me. My body, that feels sore in unusual places, reminds me what happened last night. "Fuck!" I whisper while looking over my shoulder to the room door that it's half open. Without a second thought, I jump out of bed and run to lock myself in the bathroom opening the shower so she can hear it, then I start pacing up and down on the tiled floor. My heart beats twice as fast as it should.

"Now what? What's the right thing to say? Good morning assassin, thank you for taking my virginity... that sounds horrible." My reflection in the mirror grabs my attention, my eyes wander all over my body noticing the bruises on my neck and the new hickey, the little finger marks on my thighs and some scratches here and there. I place my hand over my mouth to hold back a scream. "Oh, my God! I slept with the assassin, it wasn't a dream, it's real." My cheeks turn red as a beetroot when I remember some moments of last night. "How am I going to look her in the eye? Can I die of embarrassment? I think I'll know in a few minutes." I get in the shower and start to scrub my body while I'm focusing on not to have a nervous breakdown. "Think Nira, think. You're a damn genius, I'm sure you can figure a way to get out of this mess without making a fool of yourself."

"You're a genius with computers but a total social incompetent. There's no chance of you behaving as a classy woman in this case," my stupid conscience lets out.

"Shut the fuck up!" I answer furiously in my head. I'd better wait till I see what she does about this situation, how she behaves and, on that basis, I improvise my response... I'm not good at improvising. Shit, my head is spinning.

After getting out of the shower I brush my teeth and apply my moisturizing cream, I dry my hair and put it up in a messy bun. I'm just basically trying to buy some time to prolong this moment of calm but I can't wait any longer: I have to face her. "Coward!" says my conscience. I sigh looking at my reflection right into the eyes. "Not only I'm talking with myself but also I'm insulting myself inside of my head. It'll be true that I'm not normal. I'll become world-famous because they'll end up naming a psychiatric disorder after me but I'll never be able to enjoy my popularity because I'll be locked in a mental ward. The other option is that I'll win the Oscar to the best Dramatic Actress."

Cautiously, I stick my head out of the bathroom door and I look left and right... I'm doing this a lot lately... There's no one in sight so I go out tiptoeing and look for some clothes in my bag to get dressed quickly. Once I have my pants and dark sweater covering my body I feel calmer. I sigh relieved and I look around: my underwear and pyjama from last night are lying all over the floor while Ares stuff is neatly folded inside her bag. Once again, I blush embarrassed: "Why am I always terrible with my things?" shaking my head I pick up my garments and shove them into my bag the best way I can before closing it to hide the mess. Well, it's time to face her... I walk to the door pretending to be a confident woman... "Wait a minute, wait a minute! Stop! I forget my phone." I turn around quickly and take it from the nightstand. "Okay, now I'm ready. Let's go."

Calmly, I turn the doorknob and get into the living room looking around with a faint smile plastered on my face. The bright daylight comes directly through the window lighting up a beautiful table covered with a long white tablecloth, there're a silver coffee pot and a china tea pot, porcelain cups, a cut glass pitcher with orange juice and plates with all kinds of biscuits, cookies, cakes, buns, sliced fruit, jam and butter... there's even a vase with a single white rose. The Continental service is impeccable as always. Ares is sitting at the table reading a newspaper and sipping a cup of coffee wearing a grey shirt open at the neck and a tie hanging from the chair. I swallow hard when I spot the little hickey I left last night on her neck but she's not looking at me and, to be honest, I don't quite know how to act in this situation, I was waiting for her to be the first saying something... well, signalling something... but apparently I'm going blind into this. I walk slowly and sit down on a chair next to hers, keeping my eyes on my plate I whisper "Good morning" before pouring myself a cup of tea. The newspaper rustles loudly when she folds it and her arm enters in my visual field when she leans forward to hand me the sugar bowl. Suddenly, her breath fanning my necks sends a shiver down my spine and her lips pressing a gently kiss behind my earlobe give me the gooosebumps. I stare at her shocked by her tenderness but Ares is reading her newspaper again and sipping her cup of coffee with the same serious face of every day.