Twenty-eight

Ares remains still, pressing her whole body against mine while her breath fans my neck giving me the goosebumps with each movement of her lungs. She seems to be waiting for an answer but my mind has gone blank due to the shock, not even my stupid conscience is talking to me right now when I need it. Her words seem to be echoing through the room like a yell despite they were barely a whisper. "You are mine..." My brain decides to react all of a sudden, my body relaxes against hers totally submissive and my throat lets out a "Yes" not able to help it. I can feel the Assassin smiling smugly against my neck flesh before sliding her mouth to my ear, my cheek and along my jaw to my lips... she barely grazes them before pulling away. I hold onto the doorknob, I need some support to stay on my feet while she walks towards the bed. When I see her taking her knife from the sheath in her waistband and drop it on the mattress I remember what I wanted to ask her.

"What has happened to Dragan? Is he dead?" My voice sounds weak and shaky before I clear my throat while I watch her nodding. Ares is unbuttoning her shirt deliberately slowly showing a plain black bra that looks like the best French lingerie against the background of her skin. Her colourful tattoos shine under the light that comes through the window grabbing my attention, I never get tired of seeing them or tracing the outlines with my tongue...

"Focus on, Nira!" I think angry with myself. Well, my grumpy conscience has come back. The Assassin has kicked her shoes off and taken her pants off too, her black boy shorts highlighting the perfect and toned curves or her butt and making my mouth water. I blink and shake my head to clear my mind.

"I hope..." She turns to stare at me with an eyebrow raised. "I hope your sister can rest in peace finally." My bodyguard tilts her head to one side, thinking about her answer, till she seems to decide what to say and takes her device from the table. She types quickly.

"My sister has been resting in peace for years, it was me the one who was unable to live without revenge." She stops to listen attentively the electronic voice while it repeats what she's written and nods finally, confirming her own words before walking into the bathroom. She doesn't lock the door so I get closer shyly and lean on the doorframe while I look at her opening the bathtub faucet and checking the amenities that the hotel offers. She picks out one eventually and pours all the content of the little bottle of shower gel in the bathtub. The scent of mint and lemon drifts through the room while the bathtub fills up with bubbles and she checks the water temperature with her hand.

"Andreja..."

"Andy..." She whispers cutting me off. I blink in surprise, this is the first time I hear that pet name, neither Lombardo nor Nonna have called her like that, at least when I was present. I feel honoured for the privilege and I'm unable to stop the wide grin that my face is showing right now.

"Andy..." The Assassin smiles while she comes back to the bedroom grazing my body, the bathtub is filling up quickly. "What are you going to do now? I mean that you're done with them, don't you? You had your revenge and no one involved in your sister's death is alive." Ares turns around to stare at me, one of those focused and thoughtful looks that usually send a shiver down my spine because I know she's scheming something and I know it's going to affect me somehow but I can't predict what she's going to do. She finally smiles naughtily and types on her device.

"Winston goes back to New York with Sokolov. He lends us his plane so we can travel later and evade Aidan Finn's men just in case they're monitoring our arrival. We can travel to Milan for a couple of days if you want, go shopping and visiting the city. I have a little apartment there and..."

"I'd love to," I answer abruptly. Ares stops typing while chuckling. "Andreja... Andy... I've been thinking about..." My soft and shaky tone of voice catches her attention and she stares at me intently. "Well, since we're here in Italy and this mess is over... I thought that you'd like to say goodbye... you know... in Croatia." The Assassin crosses her arms on her chest and stares at me frowning so I look down focusing on the carpet. "I'm sorry, I'm sticking my nose into your business again... I just thought that maybe you'd like to go back your country, visit your neighbour, bring some flowers to your sister and I don't know... close this stage and move on." I swallow hard, not daring to look at her, she's probably mad at me right now because of my noisiness.