Twelve

Once again I wake up in my bed alone but this time the sensations are different. I'm well-rested and satisfied and not on the verge of a nervous breakdown. I know Ares has slept by my side, I can still feel her heat on the sheets and her head imprint is on the pillow. I don't know if that night at the hotel will happen again but one thing is for sure: she cares about me. "Of course she does, she's sworn to protect your life and she's going to make a good amount of money if you walk out of this without a scratch," lets out my conscience. Fuck! Why does it have to ruin my happiness so early in the morning? And why does it have to be so pessimistic? I get out of bed with an unladylike grunt and I go to the bathroom were I put on my sweatpants before heading to the living room. The assassin is sitting in front of the monitoring screens again while she rubs her lips with a finger, lost in her thoughts.

"What's wrong?" I ask worried. She shakes her head not turning around to face me, instead she keeps staring at the screens. "Did the boy from the shop come?" She shakes her head again still not looking at me. "This is weird, I thinks it's the first time they don't deliver an order. I'm going to have breakfast and then I'll call them." She gets my attention with a snap of her fingers before I can reach the kitchen. Ares points at the table, next to my keyboard: a steaming cup of tea and a toast with jam on a plate are waiting for me. "Thank you," I whisper while sitting down delighted with her consideration. My bodyguard leans back in her chair keeping an eye on the security cameras while she places one hand on my thigh and starts tapping it rhythmically with her fingers; I think she doesn't even realize she's doing it. Five minutes later I've finished my toast and I'm sipping my tea calmly while she keeps tapping, finally she looks at me frowning and she takes her hand off my leg to type on her device.

"Is there a way of checking the streets out of your defence perimeter?" Shocked by her question I think carefully about it before answering. Some of my cameras can move but it would be difficult for us to see what's happening three or four streets away. I could find satellite pictures, some of those photos have very good quality with great resolution, but they'd be static images of the moment they fly over us, they wouldn't show people in movement. I rack my brains to find a solution till...

I rush to my bedroom without giving any reason, startling my cats and my bodyguard. Getting on my hands and knees I rummage in the back of the closet behind some boxes with electronic equipment. "I could swear that I'd put it here..." I mumble while I push my stuff aside. "Found it!" I crawl backwards dragging a box that I place on the carpet, I can see Ares' shoes out of the corner of my eye... she's been sitting on my bed looking at my butt covered with my sweatpants all the time. I look up and she's flashing her arrogant smirk as I was expecting, she raises an eyebrow. "Damn!" I think angrily. "Why does she have to be so beautiful?" I open the box and take in my hands the object that's inside causing the eyes of the assassin to light up and a genuine smile spreads across her face... like she's not beautiful enough. Quietly, I hand her the flight controllers of my little drone while I look for the batteries, we need to charge them.

Two hour later Ares is sneaking out the house quietly in order to place the drone in the middle of the backyard while I go through the instruction book for the last time and check that everything works properly sitting on the garage floor. We're going to fly the drone over my building and then in ever-widening circles till it reach five blocks away, very carefully since we don't want them to spot it; then we're going to fly back home, land it and then check the video. Stealthily, my bodyguard comes back and sits down by my side: she nods and with great care I start pushing the controller. The drone takes off without any difficulty from the backyard, luckily today it's not windy and it'll be easy to control it.

"Where did you get it?" The electronic voice of her device distracts me for a few seconds. I keep my hands grabbing firmly the controller while I answer.