Thirty-four

"This is a stunning costume, you look amazing."

"Thank you," I whisper to the hotel maid that has helped me while staring at my reflection in the mirror. She's right: I look great... but weird. I've never had such a glamorous updo in my head before or had my make-up professionally done. I've learnt tons of new words totally foreign to me: cat eyeliner, smokey eyes, rouge for my lips, contouring, the difference between compact powder and loose powder and the thousand and one different colours of concealers and liquid face illuminators depending on the area or the imperfection on your skin you want to hide. This is crazy... and then they say that programming seems difficult. I'm so happy that I don't have to go through this every day. I walk slowly around the room for the last time checking my balance on the high heels, I've practicing for a while and I think I've found my centre of gravity, I won't break an ankle as long as I walk at a steady pace. I look down... no matter how indecently expensive this black shoes with red soles are, they're still uncomfortable compared to my Chuck Taylors. Anyway, I'm think I'm ready... and just in time: the Assassin doesn't like waiting.

I nod at the maid to say goodbye and walk slowly towards the door, I open it taking a deep breath. Ares is standing in the middle of the corridor holding a grey hat in her hand: she's wearing a dark pinstriped suit with a double-breasted jacket, white shirt, light grey tie, a white pocket square and a red carnation in her lapel. With her hair slicked back, a bulging pocket betraying that she's carrying her gun and a serious face she looks exactly like a gangster out of a 1930s movie... only more handsome. I hold my breath when she raises her beautiful face... she looks at me before blinking and opening her mouth wide. Her reaction gives me enough confidence to walk slowly towards her without thinking that I can fall down on the floor and embarrass myself like never before.

The Assassin follows my movements with her eyes paying attention to every detail, raking all over my body from the tip of my black Louboutin with stratospheric heels, going up the thigh high stockings that are covering my long legs till she stops for a second in the black lace band. I'm wearing a garter belt and it's clearly visible because my elegant little black dress is very short, actually she could see the hem of my black lace and silk panties if I turn around, the V-neck is so deep that the lace hem of my bra is also visible. Ares eyes go up my bare neck, stop at my red lips and look entranced at the classy updo with a funny fascinator: a little black top hat placed in a graceful angle on my head with a black birdcage veil attached covering slightly one of my eyes. I brush a lock of hair away my face and smile shyly when the Assassin raises an eyebrow noticing my red nail polish.

Without saying a word, I straighten my back and walk slowly along the corridor while Ares follows me, I can feel her gaze fixed on the back of my thighs burning my skin, and also distracting me, causing me to trip over the carpet and forcing me to jump a little so I don't fall on my face. To be honest, I think I've managed to move with considerable style and no one has noticed that I've almost kissed the floor but she chuckles behind me and leans her hand on my waist in order to give me some support. I smile relieved and get closer to the elevator where Winston and Charon are waiting for us: my boss is dressed up as the Lord of the Underworld with black suit, long cape and red horns on his head while the receptionist is wearing an impeccable English butler uniform. They both stare at me in disbelief for a second before blushing. My boss seems to be about to speak but the bell ring of the elevator sounds right then, the doors open and we all walk in. Ares is still behind me leaning on the mirror, her gaze burning me, that's how I know she's ogling my ass shamelessly while our two companions are standing next to me. Before Winston is able to open his mouth again, I take the white satin handkerchief rimmed with lace that was hidden on my belt and I pretend to wipe my tears away with gentle touches.