Chapter 14 - Confront Rather Than Comfort.

Aria's POV*

Deep breathes, I told myself continuously. You can do this.

I stood in front of the brown wooden door of the beige two- story house that I spent my teenage years living in. I didn't know whether or not I wanted to know the truth about my mum. I should just trust her and knock anyway. However, something in my father's voice when he told me made my conscious have a second thought. Did mum really have an affair along with a second family behind Jason and I's back? I couldn't comprehend if I was mad or extremely upset. Was the family she had with father not enough? Was Jason and I not enough?

I brought my fist and hesitantly, but somewhat confidently, knocked on the wood three times.

"If anything goes wrong, just give me a call." Father gave me a small smile as we departed ways. If it comes to that, I will. Because we have years of explaining and making up to do-- that's if he's correct.

When the door opened, I was greeted by a pair of beautiful blue eyes with a head of dark brown hair. The boy leaned up against the frame of the door and crossed his arms over his black t- shirt covered chest. "Well, Christmas must be here early because Santa asked what I wanted and I said you." A smirk was plastered on his face while mine held a look basically saying, 'are you serious?'

His laughter was added only a minute after along with his hand extended out towards me. "I'm sorry for that lame attempt of a pick- up line. I'm Aiden." I shook his hand and was surprised when he brought my hand up to his lips.

"I'm Aria.." I managed out. Her daughters should be seventeen by now. Her son should be eighteen. So, this must be my.. Step- brother?

"Ouu. British accent? I like--"

"Aiden, honey, who's at the--" Mum stopped dead at her tracks and choked on her words when she saw me. Was that regret flashing through her eyes?  "A- Aria?"

I blinked back a couple tears that were wanting to spill out. I was hurt. Dad was actually right. "Hey." I managed to say. My throat was completely dry and my heart was beating rapidly against my chest.

"Come inside, please." She ushered me inside and I could tell she was nervous. I mean, I did just catch her in this whole fucking lie of hers.

"Mom, you know this gorgeous specimen?" Aiden blurted out as I sat down on the couch with my luggage near my feet. I had my hand over my forehead and my eyes close. I can't believe it.

"Aiden, why don't you go upstairs for a bit. I need to talk to her alone." I heard mum say. I was taking deep breathes when I felt her standing a couple feet away from me. "Aria, sweetie, I-"

I raised my hand up and looked at her. "Save it." Was all I said before I stood up and let everything out. "What kind of bullshit is this, mum!? Another family? Was Jason and I not good enough for you? Were we not the kind of ideal children you wanted? All these years, I blamed dad for breaking our 'family' a part when in the end, it was all because of you!"