"Fighting will solve nothing!" John exclaimed. I pushed his hand away and walked the length of the beach to the point where I sat on a rock with my head in my hands, I knew I had been followed as I heard footsteps behind me and a hand stroking the length of my ponytail. I turned my head and it was John.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"Erm calming you. . .?" An unsure smile painted his face.

"What?" I asked pulling my hair over my shoulder but John hadn't quite let go so a few strands got caught by his fingers I hissed to myself.

"Well I've seen Flint do it to you whenever you're upset," he replied.

"Him yes because he's my father, but you no." I growled.

"Acheron you know me," he said walking around the rock and standing in the water, he cupped his hands on either side of my face. "You know I only have your best interests at heart," he told me, stroking a strand of hair from my eyes. He knelt down and scooped up sea water into his hands and pressed his cold wet hands to my tender skin causing me to squeal and move a little with discomfort. "Now tell me who did this?" He asked softly. I remained silent so he gently pressed his fingers into the bruises making it even more unbearable.

"Vane, it was Vane." I said, he finally stopped.

"Wasn't so hard now was it?" He mocked me.

"Do that again and you will lose a hand!" I threatened.

"You would say that wouldn't you," he mumbled offering me a hand, I took it and he helped me off the rock, but we both slipped and fell into the water.

"And that would be karma." I said.

We both laughed and helped each other out  of the water, we walked back to the main beach where my father now sat under his tent. "Did you get an answer?" He demanded.

John nodded. "It was Vane."

"I'll have his guts," my father said rising from his chair throwing it back into the sand.

"Calm down, I'll sort it." I said.

"So he can beat you again?" My father panicked.

"Not necessarily." I said looking at John.

"Now what?" He asked. I smiled and walked around John draping an arm around his shoulders.

"I need you to make Vane jealous again so I can lure him to my father," I said nodding at my father.

"Then I can punish Vane for hurting you," he said.

"Are you sure you want my help?" John smiled.

"Yes," both my father and I answered perhaps a little too harshly.

"When does this plan take place?" He inquired.

"Tonight." I said walking to Mr Gates.

"Are you okay?" He asked, I noticed his eyes were focused on my neck.

"It's nothing." I replied.

"It's not nothing if it has your father flustered," he spoke up.

"Flustered?" I asked a little confused.

"He was pacing up and the down sand muttering something about  Vane and whatever you three are planning be careful, just remember you're Flints only child, don't be getting yourself killed anytime soon," he advised. I smiled and began to walk more in land.