13

Vane stood in the sea, shiftless spearing fish, the waves rolling in and out gently. I began to breathe slowly feeling myself being dizzy and disorientated I couldn't concentrate. "Acheron are you okay?" He called.

"Yes." I nodded. He walked out of the water and placed the spear on the sand.

"You don't look so well." He said crouching in front of me, he walked behind me and cut the laces on my corset, blood had dirtied my white shirt. "Why didn't you say anything?" He picked me up in his arms and carried me back to the cabin, he gently lay me on the bed. He just wrapped my wound in clean bandages and began to dab my head as a fever set in, I found myself spinning and becoming drowsy it wasn't long till I fell asleep.

I hear a loud bang which causes me to sit up, my eyes adjust and there I see my father standing there with both blades drawn and John behind him. "You found me?" I asked turning my head to the side.

"It wasn't hard once I found your boat," he said walking closer to the bed. John gave me a disappointed look.

"I thought I could trust you!" He exclaimed with a little agitation.

"Where's Vane?" Flint asked, I looked around and realised that Vane was no longer here  he was when I fell asleep.

"I don't know." I said.

"Yes you do, stop defending him." John demanded.

"I really don't know." I answered innocently.

"She's telling the truth," Flint answered me. "Go search for him while I take care of my daughter," Flint approached me and looked me over.

"Are you okay, what happened?" He asked noticing the blood on my shirt.

"Well Vane decided to tie my corset tight and broke my rib, which split my skin and got infected," I explained.

"I told you that Vane wouldn't take care of you," Flint said.

That was when my eyes open, and I realise I'm still lying down in the cabin, I wheeze as I sit up and see no ones in the room except for Vane. "Take it easy you may injure yourself further," he said.

"Is Flint here?" I asked.

"No it's just us, they haven't found us," he replied.

"I'm glad to hear it," I answered.

"It's how it should be, just us alone." He said kissing my head and walking out to patrol the beach. I fidgeted in the bed trying to get comfortable whining each time I moved, I now lay on my side and look out the open window the cool breeze washing over me, I place one arm under the pillow and the other I tuck into my chest.  I admire Vane crouched  in the shade, his hand resting on the hilt of his blade.

He looked like an animal ready to pounce on the first sight of a threat, this must have been the first time I had seen him this protective over me, Flint was going to have to fight hard if he wanted to rescue me.