12

I wake up and the beds empty, but I look to the balcony where I see Vane leaning against the threshold, his hair a mess and he's staring out at the forest, I grab the sheets and wrap them around my tiny figure and walk over to him dragging my finger up the length of his spine, feeling his warm smooth bare skin, the ridges of scars on his back. He turns his head ever so slightly to me. "I didn't want to wake you." He said.

"It wouldn't have been a crime." I smiled, I walked in front of him and sat on the wooden bar in front of him. He just looked at me, he tucked a stray hair behind me ear and brushed his hands down my arms. "So what are we doing here?" I asked looking up at him.

"Here?" He asked repeating my words back to me. "A place that's tranquil and can have you all to myself," he said wrapping his arms around me and pulling me towards him, my legs now wrapped around his waist. I smiled and lifted a hand to rest on his cheek gently.

"I'm glad you saved me, I would have missed that face." He told me.

"Vane, I wouldn't allow you to leave me! You would have to die at my side." I replied.

"Well aren't you the romantic, wanting to die together," he remarked, his face lighting up slightly.

"I never wanted or want to leave you." I answered.

"I know, but Flint is in our way." He reminded me.

"He is, but thinking  you've kidnapped me, he will keep searching till he finds me," I told him.

"Then how about you fake your own death?" He asked.

"That would break him Charles. . . " he spoke over me.

"But it means we get peace,a chance at happiness." He said looking down at me.

"We're pirates Charles, there is no peace or happiness," I said unwrapping my legs and walking back into the room pulling on my clothes. "The only peace we will get is when we're swinging from a noose." I told him. He charged over to me.

"You know I hate it when you talk like that!" He exclaimed.

"I know but it's fact and is the truth. You should know that, this life won't last forever." I said.

"It may, stop being so optimistic." He said helping to lace my corset, he pulled it a little tight too fast and caused me to gasp. "I'm sorry did I hurt you?" He asked.

"Nope, I would just like to breathe," I answered which didn't help as I felt him pull it tighter and I felt one of my ribs break, but I didn't cry out I kept quiet. I then pulled on my coat and Charles pulled on his clothing and he decided to go out into the hot sun, while I sat in the shade sharpening my blade.

"You know the sun doesn't hurt!" He called over.

"I. . . I'm good." I wheezed, the last thing I needed was to faint in front of him.