16

I lay in my familiar quarters once again, my wounds healed and John still guarding me. "Why don't you listen to your father?" He asked.

"Because he doesn't know what he's talking about." I told him.

"Yes, he does," John said sitting next to me. "This wouldn't have happened otherwise." I rolled my eyes like a child.

"My father shouldn't be getting involved in my affairs," I said.

"He's trying to protect you," Silver said and gently resting his hand over mine. "All Vane does is hurt you."

"No he doesn't," I said.

"I hope Flint has ended his miserable existence," John said. My eyes glittered, I was on the verge of tears.

"Acheron," Silver said and pulled me into him, "don't fight me this time. You're far safer here with us."

"I don't think so," I sobbed.

"Oh come on now, you know we wouldn't kill you," he told me resting my head on his shoulder.

"I know," I said letting him cuddle me into him. I cried into his chest.

"Oh Acheron," he repeated cuddling me tighter. We both hear footsteps coming towards us,I lift my head slowly and see it's my father.

"He won't be bothering you again," he said.

"What did you do?" I asked.

"Taught him a lesson," he replied and retired to his quarters. The ship rocked as we set sail but where we were heading I didn't know. Silver stayed with me, he comforted me and helped my tears to cease. By the evening we were both sat on the side of the ship, we stared out at the fog that swirled over the surface.

I thought of how many ships that had sunk out on these waters, how many sailors who had lost their lives. Silver held me tightly to him, an arm around my waist. "I never thought I would be here again," I said staring out at the waves.

"Well unforeseen things will definitely happen in this uncertain life we have," Silver told me.

"You can say that again," I said pulling his arms off me and sat on the side of the ship keeping my balance.

"One day you're going to fall off there," he said.

"You may have just jinxed me," I replied looking at him. My father hadn't spoken to me since we had set sail, and even if he tried I would shrug him off I wanted some space from him. "Do you know where we are headed?" I asked.

"No, I just think he is trying to put as much sea between you and Vane as he can," he told me. "Believe me when I say you will be better off without him." I didn't look back at him, I just tilted my head to the stars.

"Only time will tell," I said.  My fathers eyes met with mine.

"Go, rest, you need it," he said.

"No," I growled and stormed to the nose of the ship, where I sat and lost myself in my thoughts. I would return to Vane one way or another.