14

Vane came in when the sun went to sleep, he lit all the candles in the cabin. "How are you feeling?" His husky voice ringing in my ears.  

"I feel a bit groggy," I replied. He began to crawl up the bed almost like a wolf, his muscles stretching under his skin, he then lay down next to me, taking my hand in his and rubbed his finger over my knuckles. 

"You will feel better soon," he said and kissed my cheek. I cuddled up closer to him, and then rested my head on his chest, he wrapped an arm around me and I wheezed a little, he kissed me on my head. "Just sleep," he smiled looking down at me, he dragged a hand up and down my back, I found myself falling asleep. 

A few hours later and I woke up to a snoring Vane, I looked up at him and smiled. I gently pulled his arm off me and stumbled towards the hearth, barely able to support myself. Vane grumbled and fidgeted in his sleep, he seemed troubled but I remained where I was I didn't want to wake him. I sat down on the deer skin rug with a little bit of a struggle and stared into the flames, I could see my fathers ship making its way here, there would be a stand off and I would be leaving this island one way or another. Vanes words then echoed in my mind, 'why don't you fake your own death?' 

I tapped my chin as I thought, it could work but my father is somewhat hard to fool. He would want to see the body, he wouldn't take Vanes word for it. I would wait till morning to decide, I joined my love back in bed snuggling up against him and wrapping his arm around me once again, we slept well into noon. Vane was the first one to stir, waking me as he did. "Sleep well?" He asked trying to find my lips and kissing me softly. 

"Kind of," I answered, standing and walking over to the balcony, the sun had already tarnished the wood with its rays of harsh heat. 

"Kind of? That doesn't sound good," he stated. 

"I was just thinking if Flint came here. . ." he cut me off, closing the gap and resting his lips on mine, he pulled back and gently put his hands either side of my head. 

"He wont,"  he answered locking his serious gaze with mine. 

I knocked his hands away, "but what if he does?" I asked, Charles exhaled and rolled his eyes.

"Then I would have to kill you," he replied, my face didn't change a serious expression still painted my features. "Of course it wouldn't be real," he added, relaxing me somewhat. 

"But how would we do it?" I inquired. 

"There's many ways," he said walking into the cool of the cabin. 

"Which one doesn't require that much blood?" I asked. 

"Well I could send a letter saying you died from a fever, I could pretend to stab you but only shallowly so you at least bleed a little," he paused and looked at me my eyes had begun to glitter. "What's wrong?"

"I guess its betraying my father, John. . ." he wrapped me in a hug resting his chin on my head.

"Hush everything will be okay," he said softly, our moment of comfort was soon interrupted by the loud snap of a stick under foot, we then knew we weren't alone.