Chapter 22

"I've come to take Lucy back."

Sting stood in the doorway, his sapphire blue eyes filled with passion as he let out a sigh, panting. Pure white dragon scales covered parts of his face and body as a brilliant white light surrounded the air around him. The mist cleared up and all of Fairy Tail turned to stare at him. They could feel his magic pulsing in the air.

"...Sting," Lucy murmured, surprised.

"Lucy..." he stared at her with a look of relief.

But noticing Gildarts hand tightly wrapped around her wrist, Sting narrowed his eyes as a murderous aura started emanating from him. Moreover, seeing the splintered and ashen wood around her, he knew what they had tried to do. His eyes were now white and the veins on his forehead seemed to be ready to pop at any moment.

"You guys dare to-?!" he shouted, raging.

He went into full Dragon Force mode as the whites of his eyes were now apparent. His magic continued to build up and surround him, blowing some of the members off their feet. He gritted his teeth and released his magic.

"Holy," a ball of light gathering at his hands. "Raaaayyyyy!!!"

White rays fired throughout the guild as Sting rushed forward to Lucy, his arms outstretched. Lucy stared at him as tears came to her eyes, a soft smile spreading across her lips. She reached out her arms unconsciously and Sting held her hands tightly in his, not letting go. Gildarts immediately backed off, barely missing Sting's punch. Sting took Lucy into his arms and turned around, nestling her in his embrace. He gritted his teeth and let out a low growl as he turned to face Fairy Tail.

"Don't you dare touch Lucy," he threatened them.

With his last sentence, Sting sprinted off with Lucy in his arms. He leaped on top of a tree and then jumped onto the roofs of the neighboring houses. His anger hadn't subsided for even now, his white dragon scales were apparent. Lucy had her arms wrapped around his neck as he sped across the roofs with no sign of stopping. Her hair whipped past her face as she widened her eyes in surprise at the scenery before her. The stars were painted bright in the sky, the constellations ever so apparent. She looked up at Sting before looking back down, her arms tightening around him.

"Why did you come?" she asked. "Did Kyubey let you go?"

Sting remained silent as he continued to jump. Before long, he came to a stop at the roof of a  belltower. He stood there with Lucy still in his arms but soon set her down on the edge. Lucy let go and looked at him questioningly. He took her hand in his and lifted to his forehead.

"Why," he asked her, his voice trembling. "Why do you always go off on your own?"

"Sting..."

"Trust us a bit more. Trust me at least," he raised his face, tears threatening to fall from his eyes. "I know why you did it but nevertheless, I want to be by your side. I don't want to let you go again."

He embraced her, holding her tightly. Lucy widened her eyes as she felt the beating of Sting's heart matching the beating of her own heart. She softened her eyes as she felt his warmth and breath against her skin. Her hands trembled as they held him back, clinging to his shirt as tears slowly started falling from her eyes.

"I'm sorry," she whispered. "I'm sorry, Sting..."

Sting widened his eyes as he, too, started tearing up. He let his head digging into the nape of his neck, ruffling her hair as he did so. "Lucy, Lucy, Lucy..." he repeated, making sure that she was there. "You're mine."

Lucy remained silent as she just clung to him. After seeing Sting barge in like that, she felt all the power drain out from her. That expression on his face as well as those actions he took at that time, her heart swelled up from thinking about it. She felt the need to go to him and be with him no matter what. Not only that, it was then that she realized just how much he meant to her and how much she meant to him. She wanted to be with him.