Chapter 28

Preparations were finally complete in the Realm of the Dead and all the other major beings of the Underworld gathered before the Gate, ready to fully eliminate the undead and black rukh that was trying to make its way out to the realm of the living. Lucy and Hades stood there, watching the impurity continue to grow. Cerberus stood behind the two as other demonic beings flapped their wings, waiting for the command.

"It's growing faster than before," Lucy watched it.

"Since there's black rukh to consume, it's only natural for it to grow that large," Hades said. "But it isn't too late."

Lucy nodded her head. "Come forth, my Blade of Death."

Her large red paper umbrella emerged but as it did, it glowed a dull black, changing into the scythe that she had wielded previously. She gripped it by the handle and twirled it in the air, bringing down onto the ground.

"On my command," Hades put his hand before him, a grim look in his eyes. "Prepare your spells!"

Thousands of magic circles opened, each one coming from the many beings that stood on standby, each one containing different magics. A large magic circle appeared beneath Hades's feet as his body radiated a black and purple color, the rukh around him fluttering about. Several other magic circles appeared above him as black thorns arose from beneath the ground.

Beneath Lucy's feet opened another large magic circle, the same blackish color as Hades's but with a different design. Several other magic circles appeared overhead as she put forth her free right hand, the rukh fluttering around her as her body emitted a black and purple color. Magic circles appeared before her right hand, the wind getting even stronger. The magic circles that she had cast stood before the two of them as they looked at the monstrosity before them.

"O thorns of life that nestle within thy shadow," Hades chanted, his hair and robes now floating softly.

"O roses which harbor the love of life in thy soul," Lucy chanted, opening her soft brown eyes, a golden light in them. The two entwined their fingers in one another's, holding onto each other as the wind about them heightened in severity, blowing back their hair and robes.

Appear before thy master,
Surround thy enemy.
Perish those that stand before us.
Return back to the endless cycle
Which holds all living souls.
Once more, guide them on the sole path
To Death!

Black thorns began uprooting themselves, black roses blossoming upon them, creating a rather fearsome beauty. How majestic the two looked just standing side by side. With the rukh fluttering about them, the people around them were captivated; it was an undeniable truth that the two were the overseers of the boundary between life and death. Upon their command, the other mythical beings of the Underworld also cast their magic, directing right at the undead who were piled at the Gate.

A little more, Hades thought, pouring more of his magoi in.

Magoi directed itself in large quantities at their enemy, the rukh fluttering furiously about, combatting the black rukh. Lucy narrowed her eyes and gripped her scythe.

"Take care of things," she looked back and whispered to him.

He nodded his head and Lucy burst forward, creating a slashing wind. Her dress billowed behind her as she leaped into the air, her scythe in hand as her eyes glinted with murderous intent. The thorns surrounding it rooted itself into the ground as it pierced the enemy. Rose petals cascaded down as she swung the large arced blade down. The part where she had slashed immediately began bubbling and soon, exploded, dispersing into black rukh before slowly turning into white rukh. She stood back up and looked at the Gate, no sign of any impurities.