Chapter 2

As his life got worse so did mine. My dad got busted for drug dealing and my mom, I had never really known her. Monica's boyfriend of the week was particularly fond of beating Erik. We had been friends forever, he was my only friend and I was his. Only we could understand what the other was going through, and we swore to always support one another. It wasn't uncommon for kids to go missing where we lived as terrible as it sounds. We knew that if we left, there wouldn't be anyone that cared enough to report it. At age 15 we ran away together. We were young and stupid, so we found an old house on a street in the nice end of town, but still took classes at our old high school.The family had vacated, nobody had bought it so we took down the for sale sign and took the house for our own. It had super nice furniture, and the rooms were beautiful. I worked as a cashier at a local market and he would man the drive through at a fast food restaurant called Danny's. We would get food from the market that I worked at and other than that, all of the houses expenses, water, electricity, everything...was covered by the people who never really sold it. It was like living in a dream. Just him and I. We weren't together, he had a girlfriend and I had a thing going on, but, I think we both knew that it wouldn't stay like that for long. I remember one night specifically.

My eyes opened wide and suddenly I was sitting straight up in my bed. I could feel my breathing getting uneven, my heart beating so fast that I thought it was going to beat out of my chest. Sweat ran down my forehead and nervousness over came me like hurricane of mixed emotions. The sound of footsteps worries me, but with the flip of a switch, the light turns on and my body calms down when I see Erik in the doorway. His eyebrows are furrowed with concern as he asks me if I'm ok. I nod, looking around the room and assuring myself of my surroundings. "Ok...night K" he says, turning around. "Wait!" I call out from my bed, hoping he hasn't left. "Yeah?" He replies, turning back to stand in the doorway. "W-will you stay with me" I ask, feeling helpless. Erik's frown turns into a sad smile as he nods and walks over to the bed. He got in on the right side, and I expected him to just roll over and go to bed. He pulled me into his arms, his chin resting on top of my head. "I'm not gonna let anything happen to you." Erik whispers.

"I promise."