Chapter Ten

"Well, well, well. What do we have here." Imani hadn't had the chance to quickly repackage the ring and shove far deep into her bag and out of sight from Toni grubby fingers. But she wasn't as quick as the sly man. He soon had the ring in his paws and was eyeing it greedily as he sneered at Imani.

"Whose property is this? Have you resorted to stealing on the company grounds?" Imani's eyes flashed red at the accusation. She could say she tolerated all of Toni's jabs at her but if anything, she wasn't going to let him ruin this for her. Fine, this whole "marriage" debacle might just be a really long dream going but at least, she was allowed to enjoy this dream just for a while. And could Toni evaporate.

"Mine." Imani said through gritted teeth as she sat up straighter and looked at Toni's unbelieving face as she pressed her lips to a thin line.

Toni rolled his eyes, not believing her. He shifted closer to her desk and put his arms akimbo as he sneered down on her. "No offence," he said in a pissy tone. "But you can't afford it. Not with your salary. Even if you're doing some harlot work by the side, you just can't afford it." he spat at her.

What is it with people saying 'no offense and following it with something you will definitely take offense to. Do they think by saying no offense, they are softening the impact of the offensive word. It doesn't work that way. With or without the no offense. That mother-trucker still hurts. He just insulted her.

She couldn't just be meek about this. She wasn't going to allow herself be. Screw all reasoning.

"Mr Lloyd, I will not tolerate you belittling me. I am not your slave, and neither am I your wife nor one of those toddlers you bring into the office to screw every bloody time. I might take all the insults you have dished to me but this I will not take. Do you think it speaks well for a man your age to go around and look for petty trouble everywhere and go as far as calling your coworker out?"

Toni looked taken aback. How  hadn't expected Imani to speak the way she did. He straightened up.

"How dare you insult me the way you just did? Do you know who you're talking to?" Toni looked around fanning himself as he began to sweat and his pudgy neck grew red. This was proof he was trying to make a point. Imani has seen this one too many times not to know.

"Mr-" Imani had a fxck it moment. There was no point being formal with him. He just better hand her her ring that was now in his sweaty palms. As soon as she got it, she had to sterilise it thoroughly. Who knew where those fingers had been a few minutes before. She didn't even want to think about it. "Toni. You're nothing but Toni."

If possible, Toni's face grew red then green then purple. The transition was like that of a disco ball. Imani almost laughed at the funny scene. It just wasn't funny yet to her.

"Toni," Toni stammered wondering when his secretary had got the guts to call him that way. So carelessly and without caution. Did she know who she was dealing with? He could have her fired in a millisecond.

If she hadn't been such a prissy cat, she would have been his woman and he could have had her promoted by now. But stupid her, she was playing with petrol and was about to get burnt.

"I'm your CMO, heck, I'm the Chief Marketing Officer of this great organisation. What do you think you are? You're nothing but bespeckled dust on the wipers of my car. Do you know how much my car costs not to mention the wipers? It is money you'll never get to see even in three years of you working here!"

"You're so full of yourself. Well I don't blame you anyways. You're just a silly old annoying person."

"And you're nothing but a big pile of garbage - so fat. Look at how you look. That's why you're still single and you had to borrow this ring to make yourself feel better. Nobody wants you. You hear me," Tone was basically screaming in her face as the spit from his fave flew everywhere on her form. She was too shook to move away.

"You're too big, you take up so much space. Look at you sitting, even the chair is crying for freedom from your big fat ass. Go and gym, go starve you f-ugly self and maybe if you do actually reduce you won't end up living with 10 cats and dying alone. Fat fxck."

Imani gasped. Okay she might have gone far on Toni but she hasn't warranted for so much insult on her form. Why did he have to insult her so badly? She was just starting to feel good about herself. She was just starting to love her curves. She was just getting over being bullied for having rounder breasts and wider hips than the rest of her classmates back in school and now Toni did this.

She couldn't assimilate this. She didn't even want to in front of Toni. She struggled to a stand just as the chair made an a loud squeaking sound as she stood up. Toni looked at her just as she looked at the chair, she didn't need to see his fave, it had "I told you so," written all over it.

Is this how everybody felt about her? That she was simply a fat fxck. Wow.

She didn't even want to wait for longer to hear his sneer, she started to walk out. To walk away. To get far far away from him. Anywhere. Just far from Toni.

"You insolent girl! Where are you going to?  Who do you think you are walking out of me when I'm still talking to you? Who the fxck are -,"

"My wife. That's who she is." a new voice. Imani's knight. Imani hadn't seen the fact but she knew the voice even though right now it sounded cold enough to reduce the temperature of the room to minus 0 degree but she knew who it had come from. She could hug him right now. But she was so weak that she kept on working away. She wasn't looking where she was going as tears has covered her vision but she was just going.

Toni spluttered, "Wife?"

Zachary continued. "And I will not appreciate you insulting her the way you just did." Imani wasn't thinking and wasn't seeing and before she realised, she crashed into a warm - hard surface. A beating chest as firm muscled arms wrapped themselves around her.

"Sir," Toni stuttered not understanding the turn events had taken for him.

"Apologise." Imani fell limp into him and just let him support her. She was numb. Numb. Numb. She barely heard the word's flying over her head, from a cold-tone Zachary and scared Toni, she barely heard. Didn't even realise Toni had apologised and had been dismissed for a long while. She just stood leaning against Zach and he let her. She was so numb she didn't realise he was running his hands through her hair in slow strokes, comforting her.

When a little feeling returned to her, she realised. How long had she been leaning against him?

"Oh my God," she squeaked as she righted herself. "I'm so sorry, I didn't realise that it was you I was leaning on. I'm really sorry."

"It's fi-,"

"I'm so big. I'm as fat as a whale or even bigger and look at yourself, you're so fit. Why didn't you push me away? I'm such a burden." she wailed as all of the words Toni said cane back to her. It even hurt her to think about it.

"No, really you're not - " he was trying to say but her rambling cut him short. Again.

"I'm so big I take up space. I'm like a whole big, huge planet orbiting around smaller planets. Nobody likes me because I'm so thick," she made a sound that was like a cruel laughter at herself. "Thick is not not the word. Thick makes it sound better. I'm not thick. I'm FAT. Oh my God, I'm fat, I'm so fat. I'm a fat fxck," then she began to cry. "Everybody hates me because I'm fat. I'm fugly, I deserve to die. I take up too much space to even exis - "

"Shut up," he said and kissed her which effectively shut her up.

Author's Note:
As usual, the chapters are not edited but I hope you like it 💛💛