Chapter Twenty Seven

Imani collapsed into her seat, not minding the loud screech that followed from the chair, with everything that had happened to her from the very moment she stepped into the office, her chair crying for attention was the last noise she could bother herself about.

She was so disorientated as to how her morning had gone from worst to a disaster within the span of a few hours. Thinking about it all, she realized that it had begun with Toni and now ended with him. She let out a loud curse.

How had she allowed that pipsqueak of a man eat so much into her head that he thought he could manipulate her into being loathsome and so uncomfortable in her own skin. From the colour of their skin to everything else, they were different. What the hell did he know.

Now he claimed that he was going to have her fired, she looked up at the ceiling her eyes roaming in search of the so called security cameras as she swiveled in her chair. On closer scrutiny she caught a few, they were inconspicuously placed that unless you really wanted to find them, you wouldn't.

Toni had been right with that part after all. Now it was only left for the cameras to show what she had gone through. Where she had had the encounter with Toni a few minutes ago, they had been in full view of one of the cameras so she was confident that the truth was going to come out and she was going to win.

She sighed again, her eyes still on the ceiling. There was nothing she could do but believe.

The ensuing footage couldn't lie.

—————————

Two hours had passed and Imani was still stuck at her desk. And yes, she was checking the time. She didn't stand up to take a break, not even to the bathroom. Imani didn't want to give Toni the satisfaction of having her leave her desk and thinking he could succeed in driving her away. Every now and then, he walked into the room where she was and with an ugly curl of his lips, a malicious smirk in his razor shaped lips.

He would walk past her and then back, never actually leaving the room but taunting her, being so obvious about it. Even going as far as bumping into her chair and desk on occasion that she didn't look up to see him walk. When he did this, he made sure to hit the chair with so much impact, she couldn't help but be jolted by the movement. It was so uncomfortable she wanted to up and leave but she couldn't allow him win.

After he hit her chair two more times, she made sure that whenever he was in the room, she rewarded him with her coldest stare, making sure to keep her eyes steady on his as he walked into and fro the room. He wasn't used to Imani looking at him full on so it unnverved him and continued to unnerve him until he got tired and stopped patrolling the room. She took pleasure in the fact that he kept tripping on his feet due to her eyes.

With that, he remained in his office and after sitting idly for an hour more and receiving no one. She figured Toni would have immediately contacted a Human Resources personnel but with this long she had to wait, she guessed that it was all a ruse. Deciding to take a much needed bathroom break, she got back to her desk ready to get her bag and go report Toni herself.

On getting to her desk she met a lady about her age with fair skin and pixie cut whose eyes were on Imani as she came closer.

"Are you Imani Davis?" The lady asked adjusting the oval shaped glasses that sat on her nose.

"Yes, I am." Imani said in reply with a frown. Until she saw the tag on her neck and read the office department underneath her name plate. Understanding flooded through her.

"I'm Lola and I've been ordered to convey you to the executive conference room. Your attention is needed by the HR as we would like to ask you a few questions." She said, as Imani looked in the direction of Toni's office. She expected to see him lingering in the hallway but he wasn't. It was good he didn't catch her like this.