Chapter Twenty Two

Zachary hit the turn signal as he made the curve to the corner that was the underground parking lot of the office. After finding a place to park his vehicle that was closer to the elevator, he shut down the engine. It made Imani wonder why he was driving himself. He could get people's attention and whatever he wanted just by his presence so why was he doing this?

It had been a silent 10 minute car drive otherwise so this would be this would be her breaking the ice — it hadn't been because they were angry at each other, she definitely wasn't at him but it had just seemed like they needed to think.

"Should you be driving yourself?" He raised his head from where he had been studying the dashboard. He looked at her, his forehead creased in confusion while a stray lock of his soft hair fell into his eyes.

"Huh? I've been driving you all along. Did I tell you I wasn't supposed to?" He asked perplexed by her question.

"Yeah, that's true but people your level don't usually drive themselves places, not when they have other people to pay to get the job done. I guess they see it as efficient and I figured you would." She shrugged.

"I'm not like other people, Imani. I prefer to have control over my vehicle, and unless in circumstances when I absolutely cannot help it, I ask for one. But that doesn't happen a lot." He told her and Imani nodded her head, every time he showed her he was different from what she expected.

"Why? Do you want control over it? I'll let you." Right now, right now was he hinting at a double entendre or it was just in her head?

"It?" She choked, her eyes wide at the wiggle he did with his eyebrows. What was he insinuating!

"Hey, get your mind out of the gutter. I meant do you want to drive my car." She coughed, looking away at the mock shock on his face.

"My mind was never in the gutter to begin with. What are you saying?" She said, still avoiding his eyes.

"You could have fooled me," he guffawed, in a tone that he wasn't buying her excuse. She rolled her eyes at it, opening the door to get out of the car.

She freed herself from her seatbelt, and swung open the door, and took one foot out, his next words stopped her. "You know you can drive my car anytime you want, right? You're my wife, I'll let you. Even if you weren't, I'll still let you, because it's you."

Why was he so wordy? Why did he always say things like that around her. It was like he didn't  have a filter. It was unsettling to Imani who had grown used to bottling up her feelings and never being completely honest about what she thought even when asked. But Zachary was always saying things like this, making her heart flutter. It was as if he liked this arrangement, it was baffling.

"Okay." She said for lack of a better word and steeped down. He always succeeded in rendering her speechless. When she got down the car, she closed the door shut, and adjusted her bag against her shoulder as she smoothened down her dress and in an instant was surprised to see him by her side.

Did he sprint all way? He had still been in the car when she got down.

"Tell me." He said standing in front of her, holding her gaze.

"What? What are you talking about?" She asked, frowning as he had a serious look on his face.

"Tell me what you're thinking. I want to get into your mind, I don't like it when you don't say what it is you have in your head. I want to know you."

"I'm not thinking anything." She argued.

"Well not right now. But just those times, you have a lot on your mind and I want to you know that it's okay to say what's on your mind when you're with me. I'll always listen, I promise."