Chapter Fourteen

"Can I look at the document?" She requested and he stoop up to hand it over to her. She pored through the contents in silence. With every flip of the page, her heart sank further and further until it came to her signature next to his, which her heart did finally plummet to the ground. He saw the disappointment on her face and smiled.

"I'm not so bad a husband." He teased. He would make an excellent husband, if she allowed.

"How would you know? Have you ever been married before?" She rolled her eyes, then widened  it at the notion.

Wait!

Has he ever been married before??

"No, I haven't. But it wouldn't be so bad. I mean, I guess it would be just like being boyfriend and girlfriend who are living together," he shrugged. Why was he so unbothered her about all of this. It seemed like she was just freaking out for nothing and this was not nothing!

"Um, no," she shook her head. "It's marriage. It's so much more serious than that, it's sharing responsibilities, sharing and understanding each other's dirty laundry. It's being legally, spiritually and emotionally bound to each other. It's so much more than what you just said,"

When he noticed that she was getting more and more anxious, showing by the growing despair in her beautiful eyes, he quickly slot in the new piece of information, hoping that it would get her to agree and try to give this a shot.

He really wanted her to.

"On the bright side of things, it's only for one year." He informed her. Imani's ears perked up, unbelieving at this new fact.

On the bright side...

"No," she said in disbelief quickly rifling through the papers to find what he had just disclosed.

When she did, she nodded her head slowly. "Oh," she said. He didn't know if it was from surprise or in joy. But he was more inclined to believe it was the latter. She was so eager to not be tied to him.

Damn. But was he really that worse off a person for her to look so dejected at being stuck with in a marriage, even though it was a hasty one. She had no idea what he had in store for her.

He saw himself as quite the catch, and he knew it to. Standing at 6'1, he had a lean but muscular body which was achieved by going to the gym everyday, his early morning runs that he never missed. He knew he was good looking as this was obvious to him and was also told this by everyone around him. He was even
named as one of the most eligible bachelors of the country for so many years in running now. He was never spared of women's attention or anyone's attention really, and this he was mighty aware of, plus his money was also a big fact in this as well. It complemented each other and worked well in his advantage.

Zachary had never known of her existence until  that day after a very bad ordeal with his board of directors who had disappointed him with the decision they had made in his absence. Ordinarily he wouldn't have noticed her, in his angry state - or anybody else - because he wasn't one to fraternize with his employees. His work and private life were kept separate the way he like it - he didn't mix business and pleasure together, as it was supposed to be.

If she hadn't been clumsy and made an impression by spraying scalding hot coffee on his shoes like she had done on his way into another meeting, he might never had come into contact with her at all. Seeing as this office alone had over three hundred staffs of his, and only his Chief Officers were allowed to directly reported to him and then he had his own private elevator which he used always, so what were the odds?

But he had and ever since hadn't been able to get her off his mind which screwed with his head because she wasn't his usual go to. He didn't have a preference per se, It was just that, the women that were around him happened to all be white, skinny, model like and not wanting an ounce of fat on their body, well except their arse. And so, it was just an unspoken expected rule for him to go after them, he hadn't tried to break the pattern.