Chapter Twenty Six

Toni's face grew redder and redder still, his beady eyes had widened and his mouth remained slack, more than one minute after Imani's utterance. His features had taken the most ugliest shape as his nostrils flared, his nose hair poking out. The blood vessels on his face were looking ready to pop and all this was just on what she said. This made Imani surmise that she was as well done for, Toni was going to milk this to his advantage, that was clear.

Some part of Imani was shock at her having spoken in such a crude manner, and to her boss. That part of her brain was going haywire with endless devastating possibilities.

Was she allowed to have said such offensive words?

Toni was always saying worse words towards her so she would be fine, right? But then again Toni was her boss and would likely be paid listened to rather than her so it was going to be his words over her.

Could she talk back at her boss? Was she allowed to? She wasn't, right?

She definitely was going to get fired. Toni was and is capable of ensuring just that. He didn't like her in the first place and this was the enough motive for him to successfully carry out his evil plans on her.

Oh God. She groaned inwardly, hoping her face wasn't contorted into a grimace.

She should have paid more attention to the do's and don't of the office, instead, she had kept postponing it, going she would never break any rules.

She had never created time — Toni hoarded her services every single day and she was left exhausted by the time she got back home — to get to reading up on the office policies on language and everything else so she wasn't sure if she could be let go because of her words, and whenever there were seminars thrown by human resources for the whole office, you would always find her with her earbuds permanently in and eyeing Zachary.

He was too fine a specimen not to be admired, unless you were pretending. Zachary was openly gawked at, and with that perfect body of his that was always suited up in the office. Usually he was put together, sometimes he had a tie on, and looked so good she wanted to lick him, and other times he looked ravishingly disheveled.

His hair would be standing this way and that, in the cute way that you know he had been running his fingers through his hair which was a a thing he did unconsciously. His tie would also be missing, something he tossed before the afternoon had begun, and his chest hairs would be teasing through the opened top button of his shirt. To complete the messy but undeniably sexy look, his shirt sleeves would be rolled up to show his sexy arm vein.

No matter what look he was wearing; whether tired or otherwise, he was always looking delectable and downright sinful. It had to be illegal to look that good, well except you're a Greek god statue. Zachary's presence was destabilizing and everybody else, most especially the female population was able to concentrate when he was in the room during those seminars, which was always. That was besides the point she was making.

It was so annoying how Zachary unknown to him was beginning to sneak into her thoughts, and distracting her. It was like she couldn't do anything for so long without him taking a good percentage of her thoughts and she couldn't go without comparing him to every person she cane in contact with. It was growing alarming.

"You dare to curse at me!" He spat in her face as he walked a step closer swinging his clenched fist in her face. Standing at just about a few inches shorter than Imani, he was really a sight to behold.

"I only wanted you to stop screaming profanities at me."

Toni sputtered, narrowing his eyes at her. "No! You curse at me. You just defamed me right now, right here. I could sue you and I will. You tried to belittle me because I was only trying to advice you. You took my words for granted, and now you're definitely going to get it."

It was safe to say that Toni suffered greatly from delusions of grandeur. How had he come up with that false conclusion?

He stopped shaking his fist at her and his face was beginning to return to its yellow colour as a smirk took shape on his lips. She could see him plotting behind his blue eyes, it was a sight she hated the most.

"Toni, don't twist my words. I only wanted you to —"

"No," Toni said in a high voice, raising his hands to interrupt her from saying anything more. "Do not try to deny it. There are cameras here that will defend me and all of them have been recording. It's clear that it will be my words against yours and guess who is going to win and who the other person is that is going to take all the blame." He said with an evil glint in his eyes.

"What the hell! No! You're wrong. Nobody is going to believe you over me, they wouldn't. You're a dirty sleazebag, and everybody knows that, what you're capable of doing. You were insulting me, you were and I said that to shut you up." Imani was so close to tears not for anything but frustration.

Toni was frustrating the life out of her and she was dangerously close to lunging at him and clawing out his eyes out and scratching his skin until she could peel it down while feeling the blood seep into her fingernails. She wasn't normally a person with such grotesque thoughts but Toni was bringing the unwanted and the ugly out of her.

She was close to murder and was barely restraining herself. She was on the brink of jumping him and it was taking everything in her not to listen to that visceral emotion that was pushing her to do what she was feeling right now.

Toni laughed, playing with the cuffs of his ugly pink flower patterned shirt while he looked at her. A slimy look on his face.

"Think again, no one would. Plus, I wasn't insulting you, I was simply stating the facts. I know they say the truth hurts but you do have to come to the conclusion that you're overweight. You're just too fat, it's distasteful." He said.

"No need to apologise. There's no need and I'm not interested in hearing it. You'll be facing a panel soon so you can as well sit down and enjoy the few minutes of employment you have," he said then leaned closer to say in a conspiratorial whisper, "because you're about to be fired before the close of work today, I promise you." He said and turned around, his laughter following after him as he entered his office.

AUTHOR's NOTE:

Thank you for reading.

I see that the reader base has increased especially this past week and I'm very grateful you took time out to read this book and also stick too reading despite the many errors present (which I will eventually get to). I do appreciate all of you!

Don't forget to comment your thoughts on this chapter and of course what your thoughts have been on the entire book so far :)

I'll be looking forward to reading them! 💕