The Vanishing

Lucy sits in the Zona car with tears streaming down her face. She shakes in fear. She sighs and tries the get the zip-tie off of her hands.

She hears faint whispering in her head and tries to listen to it.

"Here it comes." The voice says.

A bullet soars through the windshield and nails the driver. The car speeds up as the soldier falls limp.

"Hang on Lucy." They say.

She holds the seatbelt and crouches down into a ball. The car crashes into a tree and the glass breaks.

Someone opens the door and pulls the driver out of the car. They then open Lucy's door.

Lucy leans out of the car to get a better look at the person.

"Dad?" She asks

Lucy brushes the dust off of her and climbs out of the car with her back turned to Murphy. She turns around to face him.

"Hey." He greets with open arms

Lucy turns back around and straitens her jacket.

Murphy walks around her and tries to get her attention.

"Hey." He says again

"Hey." Lucy sighs

They pause and sit in an uncomfortable silence.

"I didn't know you were alive," Murphy says.

"Yeah, well, now you know," Lucy says as she crosses her arms.

Lucy sighs and puts her hands in her back pockets. She looks out into the woods and tries to avoid the conversation. 

"You've grown." Murphy smiles

"Yeah, That happens, regardless of whether you're there for it or not."

"Sure. You've done it rather quickly." Murphy says

"Um... yeah."

"Uh, look. Have I done something to disappoint you?" Murphy says trying to clear the air

"Oh, no." She says sarcastically

"I mean because if I have, I'm sorry. I don't know exactly what I could've done differently." Murphy scratches his head nervously. "To be honest, it's hard, this whole parenting thing. You know, being responsible, What with the Zompocalypse and everything."

"Whatever," Lucy says on the brink of tears. "You look a little different yourself."

"Oh, uh, yeah. I'm cured." Murphy smiles as he looks at his once again pale skin.

"Was there something wrong?"

"No, no, no, no. Not like that." Murphy defends

"No. No, it's okay."

"No, no, no. I didn't mean that-"

"Relax. Honestly, I...I just don't feel anything...with you." Lucy says

"I understand," Murphy says sadly

"Yeah."

"But I think that if-"