CHAPTER TEN : BLACK BOOK

NICK POV

“ Nick, please dont do this again.” she said, holding my hand. I saw her tremble hand trying to steading us, more like herself.

“ Anne, I am sorry. I am sorry, I don't apologize to you earlier. I am sorry I let you go.” I said. She nodded looking at our hands.

“ It's not your fault Nick, I am sure it is not your fault from the start.”

“In fact, it is actually my fault. It is just infatuation, it is just a crush. Just like how Stephanie did to you, even though she knew you had a greater crush for her.” I looked at her as she talk. I tried open my mouth to interrupt but she hold up her hand, asking me to let her continue.

“ Nick, I am sorry. All these time, I am ashamed. I am embarrassing myself in front of you just because one kiss. Eventually, it takes two to tango, and I danced alone. I thought you feel the same because it was both our first kiss. But then, I was wrong.”

I hold her, closely until our chest meet. I want her to feel my heart beating, I want her to know that she is all wrong. But still I wait for her to continue. Because I know, I need an explanation.

“ I am becoming paranoid Nick. My pride tore just because of you, my best friend. I know I have to see you everyday, at school, in our neighborhood, in our favourite cafe, everywhere.”

“ Remember Dean, my brother? He arranged for me to move here, further my study over here, far from all of our memories.”

Suddenly I heard her sobbed on my chest. I patted her back slowly caress her back.

“No Anne, it was not your fault.”

she whimpered.

“But Nick, I never forget.” she whispered slowly almost unspoken.

A smile form on my lips.

“Daniella, can I ask you one thing?” I ask, holding her to looked at me. She frowned. I hope she noticed I am calling her other name. Her eyes wet from the cry, and her face flushed.

“ Please be my friend.” I said.

She smiled. An honest smile. A beautiful smile.

“ Friendzone, huh?” she said, pouting. I laughed loudly in the silence of the night.

*

I wake up early today remembering what happen last night. I got her. I mean, she want to be friend again. Well, at least the first step, done.

Now onto the next step I thought as I looked at a book on my nightstand. A black book with a pen at the side. And a book belong to Anne I must say.

I just think to give it to her today if I ever meet her. But I knew we never be in the same class. Or maybe I can meet her at the library, then when is it. I dont have her number.

Or should I give it to Angeline.
But you see, I want to meet her.
Silly me.

I pick up the book checking the cover.

Nothing. Just black book with blank cover.

Plain black except the little wording at the front cover.

Little Black Book

My finger quickly roam around the small belt that fasten the content.

‘I should not do this, right?’ I think to myself.

‘But she would never know, am I?’

‘Then, I will break her trust.’

I put back the book on the nightstand and heading to the shower.

The book can wait, now I need to freshen up.

*

It is almost six in the evening when I realised she will never come up today. I wait for her almost four hours since lunch. I pack up my bag and heading to the door when the door burst open and Anne appear behind the door.

“Hey,” I say. She look up at me, surprise.

“Hey, Nick.” she say, smiling.

“So… it is getting late, and the library gonna close soon.” I say stating the obvious. She nodded playing with a book in her hand.

“Yes, I just want to return this book. it's due today. I don't want to bear the fine.” she say while walking to the front counter.

“Okay, I will be waiting outside, I guess.”

“Okay,” she said, again smiling. Her long brown hair was braided to the side, showing small diamond earring on her ears adding blink to her already natural beauty.

I release a long breath I never know I hold.

“And what are you doing at this late hour,” she said from behind startling me.

“Oh Daniella, you just add a few year to my life.” I say while rubbing my chest. She chuckled.

“ I am sorry to scare your poor heart, you should see your face.” she laugh.

“Okay.. okay.. since I got a poor heart, how about you help me fill my poor stomach?”

“Hey, that is not how it works, by the way, what is a stomach have anything to do with a heart.” she answer, smirking.

“It is. They are a few part of my body.”

“What can I say, dude. I guess I have to, considering ridiculous excuses you have. I don't have to hear other parts of your body that I don't want to know later,” she say shrugging her shoulder.

“Believe me, this other part is where the fun begin,” I replied, proudly of course. She give me a look that say ‘seriously?’ before brushing me of the hallway.

“Lead the way.”

🌸vote and comment🌸