CHAPTER NINETEEN : A GUEST FROM A WEDDING

ANNE POV

I looked up at the dress hanging on the wall near my wardrobe. A plum color dress hanging graciously under the shining lamp. The dress, my mother brought in the day before was a cap sleeves long chiffon dress, it was simple yet hold a gloomy feeling.

 The dress, my mother brought in the day before was a cap sleeves long chiffon dress, it was simple yet hold a gloomy feeling

Why? Because it was in a dark color.

As if I am mourning over something. But then, maybe yes. I am mourning over my nonexistent relationship. If it was even a word.

I sighed. Should I go to the wedding? I shouldn't even attend it, right? They will never know. It's not that the ceremony will never even start without me.

I am still calculating when the doorbell ring. I wait. Maybe my mother will get the door. Then, it ring again. It's my cue I guess. I ran to the door as fast as I can before the bell ring, again.

There, standing in front of my door, was the bride for the day. Stephanie, in all her wedding dress glory, smiling to me, well,  to my surprise face, to be exact.

“Hello Anne, surprise, surprise!” is all she said before passing me through the door into my living room

“Hello Anne, surprise, surprise!” is all she said before passing me through the door into my living room. Me? I am clueless standing there thinking what the hell she is doing here. God, help me.

“ Hey, Steph.” I close the door slowly walking to the kitchen counter. She follows.

“So, wanna drink something?” I ask. She nodded approaching me. I open the fridge, taking a carton of orange juice while she grab the glass from the cabinets.

“Thanks, Anne.” she said. I shrugged.

“ For what?” I ask, pouring down the juice into the glasses. She take the glass and sip.

“ For not shutting off the door to my face.” she said.

“I would have to if you are not shamelessly walking inside my house.” her smile faded. A blank face replaced.

“Anne, I need to talk to you over something.”

“So talk.” I remark. I can see her surprise face that she didn't see that coming.

“Anne, listen. It is still not too late.” she said. I fake laugh. Har har.

‘Not too late? What is she talking about?’

“What is not too late Steph? You are getting married. You guys even have a daughter together.” I replied, helplessly. But she smiled. Her smiled even wider. Urgh, this is annoying!

“ So you think that was his daughter? This is our wedding?” she ask.

‘Of course! Who else. Wait......what?’

I looked up at her approaching me closer. Her hand grabbing mine.

“ Anne, she is not his daughter. Emily is mine. But not his. She is Derek’s. Yes, Anne. It was our prom night mistake. Derek was gone after our graduation. You know his father business. When I know about the pregnancy, Nick found me in front of Derek’s empty house, crying out myself. I am a fool that time. Long story short, Nick help me with all the necessities until Emily turns one and Derek came back.” she explained. I stood there, stunned and confused with her explanation.

I released my hand from her and walk away.

“She called her papa because he is the one that always there for her. On her first birthday, she spoke her first word, and it was papa. It was a moment worth to remember so Nick let Emily call him papa even after Derek came back for us.”

“ You know Anne, Nick never stop talking about you. Yes he is hitting on me, but please, I know long before that, that he is actually making you jealous. He wants you, Anne. He even go to your house almost everyday to ask about you. But you know your mother. She always have something on her mind to drift us from talking about you. It is funny you know. I bet this is also her plan to not say anything about my wedding so then you could go and find out yourself.” she finished. I half smiled but nodding willingly. The truth is, I don't even know what to say.

‘oh,mom…’

“Anne…” she said.

“Steph, enough with all these things.” I said before she continue. She stop.

“Just let it be. If we are ever meant to be together, then let fate decide. I am just tired of running away. This game have ended, Steph.”

She sighed. Walking slowly, back off to the door.

“Fine, Anne. I have done my part.” she said smiling.

“ Let fate decide.” she continue, hugging me before get back to the limo that waiting for her outside my house.

I closed the door slowly, walking up the stairs to my room. I looked again at the dress hanging on the wall.

‘It maybe worth a try,’ I whispered and strip down my clothes.

*

I arrived at the event almost an hour later. Walking past the garden, suddenly my arm was yanked, harshly.

“What take you so long?” it was my mother. I startled. Is she even invited? Oh, I know, she had become alliance with Stephanie this past years.

“Go, go, everyone is waiting for you,” she said ushered me to a room at the back of the building.

I walked closer to the door and open it slowly.

“Finally…..!” Stephanie say half shouting to me.

“What?...” I am at lost for words. I quickly walk toward Stephanie sitting on one of the benches inside the room.

“ Gina, could you tell them we can start now.” she order to one of the girl inside the room. I frown, this can't be it, I thought.

“Hey Steph, I don't know I am one of your maids.” I say pointing towards all those girls that wore the same colored dress as mine. Except the design were slightly differs.

“Oh, of course not. You aren't.” she said, I frowned, confused.

“ You are my maid of honor!” she said clasping my hand and giggled.

“What?! You are crazy Stephanie.”

“No, I am not. You think why I hold this ceremony until you arrived?” she replied.

‘How'd?!’

“Now, stop frowning. Help me with this dress, please.” she ask, almost pleading. I looked at her beautiful white dress and checked if there is any fault or disorder.

“ Stephanie, you are ridiculous.” I whispered direct to her ear.

“How if I ain't shows up?”

“I know you will, Anne.”
“ And you know what even more ridiculous?” she say while walking down to the grand hall.

“ We are having masquerade reception party!” she said before going straight to the door, waiting in line for her wedding ceremony to begin.

God, help me.

🌸vote and comment🌸